History Lesson

I sat atop one of the taller buildings in Mountain Glenn, watching as the sun slowly started to set, painting the sky a beautiful purple-yellow-orange. I would have once been surprised at the lack of pollution-induced pink but apparently, Dust doesn't create as much waste.

Oh, Mother Nature, why did you fuck humanity so? 

I wonder at times what the war would have been like had Dust been found on the Frontier - if the colonists had found it maybe they would be winning. Heh. What a world that would have been.

My mind was brought out of its trance state at the sound of gunshots. It wasn't the first round - RWBY had been clearing out Grimm for hours now. "I should probably get back to them," I said lightly under my breath. I felt a split second twinge in my gut remembering the happy fun conversation I had with Ruby several hours earlier was still ongoing. Joy. It was alright, however; I have accepted that there is indeed a God, and he indeed enjoys fucking my life around like the dinosaurs when he decided to create hamsters. Nuke the dinosaurs!

Standing once more, I slung the Kraber AP over my shoulder and began jogging off to wherever they decided to set up camp realizing I would have the words "nuke the dinosaurs" stuck in my head at least until tomorrow.

     A minute or so later I found myself balanced on a crumbling rebar that sat right above where Yang, Weiss, and Blake had started a fire. 

"I can't believe we didn't find anything." Yang walked up to the fire, the annoyance present in her voice. 

"We've all been fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time." Blake started. "I guess we can't always have luck on our side." There was a brief pause before Weiss confessed something.

"That's not what I meant . . ." The other two gave her questioning looks. "Earlier. About 'upholding the legacy.' There's more to it than that." 

I had planned to make myself known but this had started to sound juicy so I decided to use their oblivion while I still could. 

"Yeah. No, me too." Yang chimed in. "I mean, I don't know."

"I don't know either," Blake said, looking just as awkward as her other two companions. "I know what I want to do but . . . I figured I'd always take things one step at a time."

"Well, it doesn't matter. We know why we're here. Right?" Yang's semi-convicted tone changed considerably in the one word it changed over. The silence was suddenly interrupted by a-

"Ah, wonderful! A textbook campfire!" Oobleck shot into the room, once again, faster than I could register. Next was Ruby, though a gasp could be heard before she could be seen. 

"Fire!" She walked from behind the wall Oobleck came from and hopped over to said fire before dropping onto her knees and putting her hands out. "So warm!" She exclaimed, obviously more bothered by the cold than I was, considering I only noticed it was cold about three and a half seconds ago.

"Very good! Eat your dinners and hurry to bed." Did I just hear him say 'eat your dinosaurs'? "We have a lot of ground to cover tomorrow and we'll need you to take turns watching over our temporary abode. Any volunteers for first watch?" The doctor waved an arm in front of himself in a way that personified the word 'jolly.'  

"Yo." Ruby raised her hand; I'd be disappointed if she hadn't. Ruby stood and began walking out. I turned to the direction she was and began moving, figuring I'd meet her outside. Ignoring the question Yang asked her, I dropped onto a piece of concrete sticking out from the wall next to the platform Ruby would most likely be when she showed up.