CHAPTER FOUR: CONFEDERATE EMPIRE

ᄃӨПFΣDΣЯΛƬΣ ΣMPIЯΣ

Skye glanced around the lobby. It smelt like lavender and wet mud. The last one was probably her fault.

“I can’t believe “sprinklers” was your great idea,” Tristan muttered as they moved with the wet crowd. Skye had turned on the sprinklers causing the residents of the place to get completely drenched and therefore making them camouflage.

“It worked, didn’t it?” Skye muttered back as she looked around the lobby. The keys to the rooms were hung behind the reception desk and the stairs were right beside it. She held Tristan’s hand and led him towards the crowd heading to the stairs. “Come with me.”

Once deep in the crowd, Skye ducked her head while Tristan hunched over. Being over six feet had it’s problems, especially when you’re trying to hide. Skye pushed herself towards the side of the crowd and flicked a room key as they passed by the reception desk. “Room seventeen,” Skye muttered under her breath. Tristan grabbed her by the waist and guided her out of the crowd towards the fire exit and ran up to the first floor.

“Where’s Bas?” Skye asked as she realised her arm was light. Tristan pointed to his arm as he grabbed the key from her and opened the door marked as 17. He walked in and let her inside, shutting the door as the sounds of people entering the corridor increased. Skye sighed and sat down on the bed, Bas slithered out of his arm and curled up on the bed beside her. “You should rest. Once all the chaos settles down, I’ll go find some information.”

“I’m fine,” Tristan muttered as he locked the room.

“Just rest,” Skye repeated sternly. Tristan glared at her but didn’t argue, Skye was beginning to recall the real reason they broke up. Skye was always domineering and Tristan never said much back because he loved her, but after a point of time, Skye knew she was in the wrong and decided to end it before it got to a point where it was no longer restorable. He removed his hoodie, leaving his black undershirt on. Skye couldn’t see how dark the bags around his eyes had turned after the trip when they were outside, but under the lights, she realised how much energy it took out of him. He jumped on the bed beside her and closed his eyes. Skye didn’t want to have that time with Tristan work out like the last one. “I’m sorry for forcing you, but when it comes to the worst I need you to be in full strength because I’m not really sure standing and fighting is an option.” She whispered slowly to him. Skye wasn’t sure if he heard her.

She got up and switched the heater on, made some coffee, drank a gulp, spit it all out and then made a mental note never to bother with coffee in hotel rooms. Skye sat down on the sofa and stared at the wall, letting her mind wander. Just when she thought she would have a meltdown she reached down to her pants to get her phone for some music.

“Fu-” she exclaimed when she realised she had left it at her house. “Guess people will have to do.” She muttered to Bas as she got up and walked to the bathroom. She washed the dirt off her face and removed her jacket and shirt, leaving her sports bra on. The bullet wound had bled again, completely drenching her gauze. She pulled it out and threw it in the dustbin. She didn’t pay attention to the cuts on her waist. One at a time. Skye sat down, her back against the bathtub as she pulled a few napkins from the holder and drenched it. Avoiding the part where the bullet entered, she slowly cleaned the outside. Lucky for her the bullet scraped through the top of her shoulder and didn’t get wedged inside. Skye scrambled through the bathroom looking for anything that might help stop the bleeding. She opened the mirror/cabinet and scanned it. Shampoos, conditioners, body lotions...more shampoos and sanitary pads. Skye grabbed a pad and stuck it on top of the wound.

That would do for now. As long as it doesn’t get infected. Skye hoped. She sighed as she realised she had to take care of the next wound. The cuts on her waist weren’t too deep and had dried up. She grabbed a few more napkins and cleaned the dry blood out. She held her shirt up in front of her. The dark grey colour had patches of black caused by the blood. The jacket hid the blood stain on the shoulder but didn’t cover the ones in the middle.