CHAPTER FIVE: ILLEGITIMATE SON

ILLΣGITIMΔTΣ SΩΠ

The gym was a circular room with glass walls and corridors around the circle. The time must have been reserved for the prince since the corridors had guardsmen all around and only one guy was working out. Skye walked around the gym, the guardsmen staring at her. Luckily she left Bas at the hotel room, he would have attracted a bit more attention even if he was just slithering under her hoodie.

Skye handed her letter to the guard near the door as she looked at the guy inside through the glass doors. He looked like a Xerox copy of the king, which said more about the king than about him. With a beautifully sculpted face and bright blue eyes, the king could have easily become the next bachelor.

“You get eight minutes, lady. Don’t waste your time trying to flirt with him.” The guard said as he tore up the envelope in two and handed it back to her. Skye held her tongue, stopping herself from retorting about his body odour and the stubble on his face that he thought he was pulling off.

She didn’t give him any form of acknowledgment as she walked through the door, towards the man, now sitting on the bed of the bench press.

He stopped his work out and looked up at her as she stopped a few paces ahead of him. “Yes. I’m the king’s son. No, I’m not a bastard. I knew who my mother was. Yes, I said was. She was killed by my step mother. Yes, I was banished to this place so I wouldn’t fight for my throne.” He rattled on in a bored voice while looking at Skye up and down. “Any other questions?”

Skye merely sat down on a chair placed conveniently opposite to him. “My name is Skye. What’s yours?” she asked as she crossed her legs.

“Brandon. Brandon Hart.” He replied.

“Well, Hart. I’m not here to talk to you about your past. I need to know about the robots.” Skye said softly.

“What robots?” He asked, his voice displaying how bored he was. He got up and walked towards the treadmill and began jogging at a slow pace.

“The robots that are killing heroes and villains and everyone who isn’t human.” Skye replied, standing up. She could tell that she had peaked Brandon's interest in the subject as his head flipped up quick. He slid of the treadmill and just stared at her, taking in the information. “They are fully autonomous and have only one job. To kill. I’m assuming that they have body scans that help them figure out who is human and who isn’t.”

“Almost everyone I loved has been killed and they still haven’t stopped. The media isn’t talking about the villains that are being dropped like flies. I need to know how to defeat them. And I think you might be our only hope.” Skye said. She wasn’t telling the truth with the last line but it didn’t matter since he ate it up.

“It can’t have been my father. He is a kind and just man – .”

“I can see that.” Skye butted in as she waved her hand pointing to the guards standing outside.

“ – and he would never do anything of this sort.” He continued ignoring her. “But his General would.”

Skye raised an eyebrow when he paused. “I will continue on one condition.”

“What?” Skye asked, impatient to get the most out of the eight minutes she was given.

“You do not kill more men.”

“You know I can’t promise that.” Skye replied. “If someone tries to kill me or anyone I love I’m not just going to let it happen.”

“No. But I know who you are, Skye Atkins. You are Bane. You’ve killed more men than can be kept track off. And it was your mother that brought down not one... but two of the greatest heroes of all time during the Great War.” Skye kept her face neutral as she remembered that she never told him her last name. “And I am sure that you can save your friends just fine without killing the men.”

Skye sighed. “I cannot promise you that I will not kill any man. I will avoid it as much as possible but the way this massacre is going, I’m sure it’s going to end in war and that, my prince, will definitely lead to men dying.”

Brandon looked like he was already grieving for all the dead men but finally seemed to see her point. “fine. But make sure that when you do kill...the dead men be put to good use.”

“What good are dead men to me?” skye asked as Brandon picked up a backpack from beside the bench press and removed a note book and a pen.

“You will find out.” He muttered as he continued to write. About two minutes later, he ripped out the two sheets and pushed it into an envelope. Skye raised an eyebrow at it. “What? No one reads the letters anymore but my dad reads all my emails.”

Skye shrugged. “I didn’t say anything. Maybe I was just wondering what that weird thing was. You know considering that this is the twenty first century with robots doing the dirty work for the so called men.”

“Ha. Ha.” Brandon fake laughed. He got up and licked the envelope before sticking it. He scribbled an address onto one side and passed it to her. “Get to that address and give it to Sebastien Loupe.”

“Loupe? Why does that sound familiar?” Skye asked as she slipped an edge of the envelope in between her pant and side stomach, and then covered it with the hoodie.

“That’s cause he is your mother's brother's only living child. Your cousin.” Brandon replied as he got back on the treadmill. “And he is the only villain who is just as powerful as ,or maybe more than, you.”

Skye's heart fluttered a little with hope as she realised that she still might have some family left. But like usual, she pressed all hope back down. “And how do you know him?”

Brandon smirked a little before answering. “He was my partner in crime.”

And then it dawned on her. Brandon wasn’t just cast to the Confederate Empire because he was the illegitimate son of the king. He wasn’t human. More specifically, he was a villain.

And then the alarms began to blare.

Hope you liked it!Vote and comment!

Hope you liked it!
Vote and comment!