2. First Day (Part 2)

Outside of one of the school's entrances, on a big patio with a few round seating benches, are Patti and Moth. They seem to be going a lot of places together too lately, I think to myself, and wonder if anything has changed between them. I can't think about it for very long though, because Patti immediately rushes up to us to talk about Ensemble.

"Today's the day," she squeals. Her hair is pulled back tightly against her scalp before bursting into a frizzy, curled ponytail that bounces as she hops up and down. "We are finally in Ensemble Theater. Well, Janie you haven't had to wait very long, but Timothy and Thatcher, we have been waiting for this since freshman year. Can you believe it is finally here?"

Moth joined the conversation halfway through her little speech after walking to catch up with her. He sips some strong coffee from the smell of it and nods. "It's going to be sick, for sure. Just as soon as I'm awake. I couldn't sleep last night."

"Me either, I was too excited," Patti says in such a hurried way that it seems she's had many, many coffees by this point.

"That and I never sleep the night before the first day. I always have too much on my mind," Moth replies.

"I get like that too," Thatcher says. "Even if I don't really care about what's going on in my head."

"Right?" Moth agrees. "Like, I always get OK grades without even trying, but it's just getting back into the routine of school again and knowing it won't stop for another four quarters. It bums me out."

"At least we get to have theater, lunch, and science together," I tell him.

"Uh, uh, uh," Patti corrects me. "Not theater. Ensemble."

The bell rings for everyone to start making their way into school, and other early birds like us start making their ways toward the entrances.

"OK, so we will see each other for Ensemble," Patti says like we are about to go into battle and have to remember our missions. "Thatcher, you have Buford for homeroom, and Moth has math with Wyler; so you two should walk together. Janie, you have Tyler, and I am close enough with Donner in the social studies department; so we will walk together."

"OK," Thatcher says, sort of as a question, and chuckles.

Moth salutes her. "Yes, sarge."

We follow the crowd into the school, and before we break into the pairs Patti assigned to us, Thatcher leans down to kiss my cheek. "See you soon."

"See you," I reply.

"Oohh, that was cute," Moth says half-heartedly. He shakes his head at himself. "Sorry, the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet. I'll do better to make a scene in a little while."

I laugh. "OK, I'll look forward to that."

He nods, and Thatcher flashes me one more smile before the two of them turn down a hallway, away from me and Patti.

"I can barely contain myself, I'm so happy to finally be in Ensemble," Patti says as she practically bounces down the hall with me.

While we walk, people lean into us or tap us to tell us things like, "Great job on the show," or, "You were awesome," or, "Congratulations." It's so bizarre how many eyes stop to follow us down the hall and how many strangers basically know us and recognize us now. Until a few months ago, I was always the invisible girl, to the point where none of my teachers even noticed how much I struggled, and now everyone sees me. This must be what it's like to be popular. Oh my goodness, are we popular now?

Patti grabs my shoulder. "What do you think?" she asks.

Oops, she's been talking this whole time that I've been distracted by people in the hall. "I'm sorry, I was totally distracted. What do I think about what?"