11. Sloppy Slumber Party

"So... how's the sloppy slumber party?" Thatcher texts me once he gets home safely from Sean's party.

Paige is passed out on Emma's couch in her living room while Patti whines about how hungry she is. Emma's parents are upstairs sleeping, but they were both awake when we came home. Paige tried her best to hold herself together, but immediately tripped on the lip where the tile by the door switched to hardwood. Emma's dad shot her a look, and then her mom pulled a trash can into the living room.

"See you in the morning, honey. Clean up after yourselves," her mom told her before patting her on the shoulder. Apparently Emma is the youngest of four, so her parents are desensitized to all teenage nonsense. That's how Emma put it.

Emma and I stand in the kitchen, making what Emma calls the ultimate sober-you-up meal. She is stirring potato flakes into milk on the stove to make quick mashed potatoes that she says will soak up the alcohol, and I'm cutting bananas, which she says will do something, she's not quite sure. And of course, I am on water duty.

I take a break from cutting bananas to respond to Thatcher: "Haha, well.... Emma and I are cooking for them while Paige sleeps and Patti complains. So about as good as you'd expect over here. I miss you."

"I miss you too," he replies, and then the three dots appear before he adds, "Call me in the morning."

"Will do. Love you. Good night!"

"Love you too. Goodnight!"

Emma turns from the stove with the small pot of mashed potatoes and says, "Alrighty ladies, time to chow down. Patti come on over and take a seat in one of these stools here. Janie, would you mind waking Paige up? She'll wake up with a huge hangover if she doesn't get some water and food in her system."

"Is this all true?" I ask on my way to the couch.

Emma shrugs. "It's worked for all my siblings. I don't know about the science behind it." She laughs. "But that's why I won't ever be a science major. Now be careful, Patti, it's hot."

"But I'm sooo hungry."

"Start on the bananas then."

I'm at the couch now where Paige is sitting straight up, asleep, with some drool leaking out of the side of her mouth. I remember the first day I met her and how I thought she was as pretty as a doll. Now she looks more like a real person, and I can't help but smile as I gently shake her awake.

"Paige. Paige, wake up. Paige."

She opens her eyes. "Food?" she asks.

I laugh. "Yes, food. Need help up?"

She nods, her eyes closing again, and she extends her hands to me so I can lift her up. I do with a grunt, I'm not very strong, and then I help her to the kitchen.

The two girls who had a little too much fun at the party eat their late night feast of carbs and potassium, and then the four of us head back to the couch, where Emma puts on The Great British Baking Show on Netflix before she heads back to the kitchen to clean up.

"What is this show?" Patti asks her.

"Um, this is purity on screen. This is the most wholesome show in the world. It's very calming, so maybe it will help you sleep too."

"Are they baking?" Paige asks the screen, where a group of twelve British bakers are very clearly putting mixes in the oven.

"Yes," I answer.

"Oh my gosh, I would love whatever they are making right now."

"Bread?"

"Yes, bread!"