25. Goodbye

Moth is driving us to the airport to wish Thatcher and Patti good luck--er, I guess to break a leg--as they fly off to Hollywood. Who knows when I will see either of them next. At least Moth is home every week for school. This is the only time I wish Thatcher were rich like Moth's family is, so that he could afford to fly back and forth however many times he needs for auditions.

"What'cha thinking?" he asks. We are in his family's Wrangler, and to celebrate the Indian summer, the sides and top are down. They weren't when Moth picked me up, of course, otherwise my mom wouldn't have allowed me to go. But they are now, and the wind whips my hair around so I can barely go two seconds without feeling sharp stings across my face.

"Huh?" It's so hard to hear with the wind.

"What are you thinking?" he yells.

"Oh," I say, to maybe just myself, who knows if he can hear it. Then I shrug. It's been such a freaking confusing quarter, but I'm actively trying to be awesome. I'm trying to support my friends and not give in to jealousy. I'm trying to be the person my friends think I am and know I can be.

"I'm sad," I yell in reply, "but I'm also happy for you three."

"Yeah, I get that."

"Huh?"

He laughs to himself, or maybe just smiles, I can't actually hear the laughter. "Nevermind," he shouts. "We will talk at the airport!"

Really, I think when it comes down to it, I'm ready to be supportive, I'm ready to be happy of my friends' opportunities, but I'm not ready to be without Thatcher next to me in Ensemble every day. A tear forms in the corner of my eye thinking about it, but luckily it is dried quickly in the wind before Moth can see.

We arrive at the airport a full three hours before Patti and Thatcher's planes depart, so that the four of us, under the watchful gaze of Patti's dad and Thatcher's grandma, can get an early lunch before two of us go through the security checkpoint and the other two of us have to go back to Riverside.

As Moth and I step onto the long "moving walkway" that leads us from the parking lot to the common area where I am told there are some shops and one burger place before the security checkpoint will block us from our friends, Moth starts up the conversation we were trying to have in the car.

"Anyways, what'cha thinking, kid? Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm just... I'm not looking forward to Thatcher being so far away for however long."

"I hear that. I can bring you guys things back and forth if you want. Notes, presents, hugs, kisses," he jokes, but the first offer was sincere.

I smile. "Thank you, I will think about it."

"Moving walkway is now ending. Please watch your step. Thank you. Moving walkway is now ending. Please watch your step. Thank you," the ceiling tells us as we come to the end of the path and find ourselves at the top of an escalator leading down to the security checkpoint and the restaurant where we are supposed to meet Patti and Thatcher.

True to Patti fashion, she's already below, saving us a table on the "patio," if you can call it that, of the restaurant. She waves vigorously, and as she does, Thatcher comes out from the interior of the restaurant with a fountain drink, sees her waving, and looks up at us. His eyes seem to gleam as he smiles.

"C'mon," Moth says, gently slapping my arm, "let's go get our people." Then, true to Moth fashion, he races down the escalator loudly declaring, "Never fear, Moth is here!"

Everyone, literally every single person in the security line turn back to see who is creating such a ruckus. I hide my face in my hands and pretend like I was never standing next to the weirdo at the bottom of the escalator. But Patti doesn't care, she stands up and runs to him, like we didn't just see each other last night at the show, like it's been forever since she's seen him. When I'm finally down, she runs over to give me the same greeting. But for me, it really means something. She and I don't see each other on the weekends like she and Moth sometimes do in Hollywood. She and I really need this hug. Well, I know that I really need this hug.