Snowing In Bangkok

“You’re fired.”

I’d been working there for three years, I thought with the amount of profit my cakes made they’d spare me from the layoffs- they didn’t. ‘We had no choice’ they said, ‘We didn’t want to do this’ they said. Even when I begged, they didn’t budge. I needed this job, I needed the money. My mother and sisters were in Trat, my mother had an accident a few years ago after I moved out of the house and found work at the bakery, it was too late to find another higher-paying job. She couldn’t work too much, so she needed income from me too. My income gave a large portion of funds to my sisters’ schooling and paying off my mother’s medical bills and I needed to pay rent.

So, yes, I needed the job.

I went home that night, cried a little, then I went online to find any jobs I could that could provide me with enough income. I searched for a whole month without avail. Then, I stumbled upon an ad for a baking position in a nearby cafe, my eyes widened at the pay- it was perfect.

The cafe- El Tigre- was small, but it had charisma, black, white, and brown interior, glass ceiling to floor windows, and wood furnishing. It looked trendy, like the kind of cafe youth would frequent, it also looked expensive so it explained the pay. When I walked through the glass double doors, there were about three people drinking coffee with their laptops, some with books, living a much calmer life. I couldn’t see anyone but the cashier, so I lined up behind the guy in front of me so I could ask him for the manager.

“Welcome,” he smiled brightly, his eyes crinkling, cheeks puffy, “what can I get for you today, sir?” I couldn’t take my eyes off him. His hair was fringed, teased and curly, and he wore a green apron over a black long-sleeve polo shirt. He emanated a kind of warm glow, like a puppy.

I don’t think people came here for the coffee.

Turns out, this young boy was actually the manager and I was shocked, but I didn’t question it out loud, maybe he just looked young?

When he questioned my degree, I got nervous, because I was desperate for a job that could save me from working multiple ones back to back- but if needed I would. I saw him pack up my file and hand it to me. My heart started to sink.

“Follow me,” I looked up, puzzled, he walked towards a door on the left.

“Kha-khap.”

I looked at the cozy kitchen, it looked so neat, stainless steel appliances and stocked to the brim with colourful ingredients. I was taken aback, there was no mention of a ‘baking’ test of any kind in the job description. What could I bake in two hours that could impress him? I peeked my head in the pantry and the shelves, and I decided: my choux cream puffs.

The walls were thin, so while I was in there I managed to hear a small part of his conversation with another employee. “What? And you let him use the newly stocked ingredients?”

“Gut feeling.”

Why he put so much trust in me is unbeknownst to me. But it made me ensure that what I gave him was worthy of his trust. When he popped the puff into his mouth, I waited as he chewed slowly, leaning forward I asked, “How is it-,” and got interrupted by a sharp hit in the nose.

When my nose bled, he rushed to take care of it, holding my cheek with his warm hands, catching my blood in a wad of tissue. Then, my eyes met his and I couldn't look away. His eyes looked so beautiful, round, and glistening. His gaze held me in place, and my heartbeat quickened. I got embarrassed when our little ‘staring match’ was caught by one of the other employees-

I don’t think I’ve had someone throw my blood at someone else before.

When I found out Perth actually owned the place I was quite surprised, especially at his age. I admired it actually, to be able to run a business mostly on your own was enough of a feat as it is. Who paid for the place didn’t really matter. His age was further reduced by his outlook though, the hairstyle and the youthfulness in his face made him look like he was still in his teenage years. He was quite clumsy, and I found it endearing- him burning himself when he forgot to wear oven mitts to help me. You can’t blame me for teasing him, especially when his fluster after I kissed his finger was the cutest thing I’d ever seen.