21-Hidden Feelings

EMMA

Emma sat at the pool, her legs inside the water, trying to get that scene out pf her head. And it was proving to be very difficult. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying. Every time she closed her eyes, she would see that one sight of Penny and Will in that bed, and it would send shivers down her spine, and hot tears rolling down her cheek.

She had just felt, hoped actually, that Will had begun liking her. He would zone out during dance rehearsals, blush like crazy when he was around her, always met her in the hallway. Or maybe she was just seeing what she wanted to see, and this was all a big illusion.

More than that, Emma thought Penny really liked Matt, considering that they almost kissed that day in the cafe, or in the basketball court (Emma had been peeking from the bleachers. She was not creepy). 

Well, she had thought it all wrong. Penny had always liked Will, and unlike Emma, Penny finally managed to get him after all. Emma felt this painful heat in her stomach at the thought of Penny holding hands with Will, going on dates with Will, kissing Will...

She shook her head. It was painful, thinking about that. Much more painful than seeing Will with Chloe.

It was starting to get colder, and she regretted wearing a sleeveless, knee length dress. Her glass of beer was empty. She felt colder and colder. She wrapped her arms around herself, shivering harder than ever. But she was determined not to go inside the house. She did not want any encounter with either Will or Penny. 

Just as her mind was about to give way, and she would head inside, she felt a blanket around herself, and saw Matt towering over her, wrapped in a blanket himself.

His eyes were as red and puffy as hers. Maybe, even more than hers.

"Okay, so you have been hiding out here. Not a very good strategy, you know, hiding in plain sight", said Matt, trying to manage a wary smile.

"Says the guy who screamed Code Green when Will caught us", she said then immediately regretting it as even the ghost of the smile from Matt's face disappeared,"so, where have you been hiding out?"

"In the bathroom", said Matt looking down.

"Very strategic."

That small smile appeared on Matt's lips again, but then disappeared when he began to speak,"I told Will."

Emma frowned,"You told him what?"

"That you really liked him, and that I really liked Penny", he replied.

Emma sat up straight and gaped at him,"You, did? Huh. How did he react?"

"I don't know. I walked straight out."

"Good decision. And um, what do you mean like-d. As is past tense? 'Cause I know you still have the biggest crush on Penny", she said, hoping she had not crossed a line.

"Well, I obviously still like her. But you tell me, every time you see your best friend, or your dance partner, will that scene not flash before your eyes? Will you not want to pull away and lock yourself in your room?"

Emma did not answer, which kind of answered the question.

Matt continued,"I'm so sorry Emma. I got you into this mess. You and Penny became distant, Will became distant to me, all because of this stupid fake relationship. You were better-off before we started this and I got you into this emotional black hole including the detentions and the community service.  Wow, you must be thinking that I'm some obnoxious, self-absorbed prick, huh?"

Emma looked into those blue-green eyes and answered without hesitation,"Matt, these few weeks we've been together, I have had the most fun in my entire life. Don't you dare blame yourself. I would have never really known stalking, naming everything I own, kicking ass in Call Of Duty if it wasn't for you. You are so amazing, so fun that Penny doesn't know what she is missing. You are the best friend anyone could ask for, and so Will doesn't realise what a prick he is, not you. So, stop crying."

She brushed off a tear rolling down his cheek with her thumb, her cold finger against his warm cheek. She cupped her hand on his cheek, and the next moment, Matt's lips were on hers, warm and tender against her cold lips.

Her heart began thundering as he put his hand in her hair and began stroking it. She locked her hands behind his neck and deepened the kiss as he locked his hands around her waist.

It felt so good. It felt hot and cold, sweet and fierce, soothing yet painful at the same time. Oh, and it felt toasty. Really toasty.

She pulled away, gasping for breath.

Even though tears were still rolling down his cheeks, he grinned crookedly at her and put his hand at the back of her head. He pulled her close and his lips crashed onto hers, much more fiercely, with such intensity that the lights around seemed brighter somehow.

But then, she remembered Will behind the mask, kissing her with the same intensity, with the same hunger in his eyes as Matt's. The scene of Will lying shirtless on the bed filled her eyes and she pulled away.

Matt looked at her, confusion dancing in his eyes.