Found: Part Four

Steve decided that he wanted to throw y/n a small birthday party. He would invite Sam, Clint, and Bruce since y/n had gradually warmed up to the three and talked to them without hiding behind Steve. He also decided to go ahead and tell her because he wasn't sure if she would want to be surprised.

Y/n was actually excited, and just seeing her smile made Steve happy. He already had food and decorations. Now he just had to find the right gift.

Of course his feelings for y/n had never faltered. If anything, his love for her only grew exponentially. He just didn't know what to do. She had basically just met him a month ago, and she didn't know him. He wanted to get her something nice that showed her how much he cared for her without going too over the top.

He lied in bed starting at the ceiling as he continued to think about what to get her.

Steve was trying hard to find a job. He needed to get one soon to be able to stay in his tiny apartment. He took a journal with him to the park while he got ready for his next job interview.

Steve opened the journal and began to sketch the lake in front of him. That's when he saw her. Y/n was sitting at the edge of the lake, and he thought he heard her crying. He got up and walked over to her sitting down on the grass beside her.

"Y/n?" He whispered.

She looked up with a tear stained face. "Oh... Steve... I... I didn't realize you were here." She smiled wiping her face with her hands.

"Y/n... Don't try to put on a happy face for me. We're the best of friends. We can be real with each other. Besides, you're always there for me. Let me be there for you."

Her smile faded as she nodded. "You're right Stevie."

She didn't speak after that for a while.

"It's... It's just I'm nervous. I heard that they might be letting some people go at my job. I mean I'm probably worrying for nothing."

"Oh Sunshine, they'd be crazy to let you go. I don't think you've ever missed a day. I think I even remember you've taken some of your coworkers' hours when they got sick or had to leave. Because you're so smart at remembering lines."

Y/n still didn't say anything. Instead she looked in another direction. Steve felt bad that he couldn't do anything to cheer y/n up. Then he remembered his journal.

He gently grabbed her hand, and she slowly turned around. "I've been trying to apply for jobs. In fact, I have an interview later on in the evening with the local school for the art teacher position. I was planning on showing them this journal."

He let go of her hand to let her take his journal. She opened it up and gasped. One of the first drawings was of her and Steve as toddlers. His journal contained sketches of the both of them, places and scenery, and random people he'd wanted to draw.

"Stevie, all these drawings are so beautiful." She looked to him and smiled. Then she continued to look at his drawings.

"Ah. There's that smile. Would you marry me now?"

He thought he saw her blush, but he never got a response.

Steve woke up, and that's when he realized what he should give her. He just... needed to visit the National American History museum. This time instead of just taking it, he decided to ask.

Apparently they didn't mind at all. It was in archives anyway. He took it happy that it was still in decent condition for being almost eighty years old. He wrapped it up and put it in his backpack.