six

There was something Albus never mentioned to Azalea

There was something Albus never mentioned to Azalea. He never told her that their youngest sibling had died in 1899 when Azalea was already asleep because of the curse.

"These Muggles boys tormented her. They caught her using magic. Magic they couldn't understand. After that incident, she was too afraid to ever use magic again. It gathered up inside her, and once in a while, it would expand, bursting out."

"An Obscurus," Azalea whispered, touching her lips with her fingertips. "Really? She's... She's truly dead?"

Albus nodded. "I am sorry, Azalea. I've failed both you, Ariana, and Aberforth. I abandoned Ariana, leaving her to the care of Aberforth as I ran amuck with Grindelwald."

"And who's that?" she asked.

He kindly looked at her. "That, older sister, is a story for another day. I'm afraid you wouldn't take too kindly to that sort of news this early after being asleep for many years. All you have to know is that he is not a good man and that I am a horrible sibling."

"You could never..."

"But I did," he replied.

"Is Aberforth...?"

"He is fine," Albus answered. "He works as a barman in Hog's Head pub. It's in Hogsmeade, and because you are a seventh year, you have permission once a month to visit Hogsmeade with the rest of the students, third year and older."

Azalea nodded. "I see, and does he know I've awakened?"

He shook his head. "We are not on speaking terms, I'm afraid. We haven't been so for a while now. I'm sure he will recognize you, seeing as you haven't aged for many, many years."

She softly chuckled. "Yes, I'm sure anyone from my past can recognize me. I'm sorry I wasn't there for all the traumatic events while I was asleep."

"It is not your fault. Nothing of the past was ever your fault."

She gazed at her younger brother, stepping forward to hug him around the waist. "You've grown," she murmured.

He chuckled and she could feel it reverberate through her cheek. "Aging does that."

"And to think: I used to be the big sister who could hold you up."

Albus nodded, stroking her hair. "Those were the good times."