Seeing Spirits

"Congratulations, Sky."

An blazing smile rose over my lips upon hearing the pride in Yusei's voice.

The roar of the crowd had slowly faded behind me in my return to the garage, where I had expected the obsessive mechanic to be mulling over his runner once again. But instead his body was leaning against the wall, with his right foot propped against the plastered surface. His own lips pulled back to reveal a killer dazzle of a grin.

I looked down embarrassingly whilst sliding my disk off my appendage and gently setting it down on a nearby desk. "Thanks, Yusei."

He then moved to station himself hovering just over my left shoulder and casually reaching for my deck. His fingers whisked them from their slot in my disk, setting the stack upon the table- monster-side facing up- and then spreading out the individual cards to reveal every soldier in my small army.

I secretly casted him a look, thinking of how bold this man had gotten, grabbing my late mother's beloved treasures as he wished. Yet, concurrently, I knew I had developed a complete trust with him to do so. Something I'd never done, nor felt, with any other.

"These cards of yours really are amazing." He praised, scanning over them just for a second before recollecting them once again.

My heart raced as he reached for my hand. His grasp was gentle, nearly weightless, but also containing a grounded strength beneath the surface. He turned my palm face up and positioned my deck back in my possession.

Clearing my throat to distract my warming cheeks, I rose a brow at my cards while recalling the odd sensation I'd experienced in my duel. "They were being unusually dramatic today."

The air steadied with Yusei's focus on the words. Only a fraction of silence held before he inquired deeper. "Care to explain?"

A sigh blew through my lips as I turned back towards the table, positioning my deck off to the side. "I've told to you before that I believe my cards, aren't just cards. They have a life force. A power that goes beyond the words printed on them." He nodded. "The position they started with me in that duel......its like they were calling for Yin&Yang Dragon, like they wanted to show Them off. And I think, it was for Goodwin."

Yusei's eyes narrowed curiously. "You think your monsters were trying to give Goodwin a warning?"

"A warning that I agree with one-hundred percent," With burning hues, I met Yusei face to face. An open hand lifted betweenst us. "'You've messed with our friends, our loved ones. The moment you pull something out of bounds, we will crush you.'" My hand slowly retracted into a closed, shaking fist.

I promised my mom I would be strong in my commitments, that I would hold fast and break through whatever tried to knock me down. Goodwin was trying to keep me -as well as my friends- under his thumb......he'll get his due.

Yusei then leaned back with a dulled expression but eyes that showed his inner mindstorm at loose. "He may be doing just that."

"What do you mean?" I egged. His words tossed my stomach in a storm of nausea.

"When your duel was done, it was announced that Goodwin found a generous spot in his soul to give the first round losers another chance. They're most likely selecting the competitors as we speak."

I balked. "And you're just now telling me this!? Lets go!"

In a whisk of my movement, I took hold of Yusei's hand and drug him behind me as we made our way back to the lounge. In our entrance, we saw the faces of Luna and 'The Professor' postered side by side on the television.