CARRY YOUR BANNER

In the lodging house, boy all ages were getting ready for the day. But the day stopped for a bit when Nicola entered the room. Some of the boys gawked. Some wistled. And one boy in particular came up to her. "Hello gourgious, who are you?" he said.

"Get back to shavin' will ya, Romeo" Jack said shooing the boy away. Nicola binked. "That's Romeo." said Jack. "He can charm a gurl faster then I can tie ma shoe." Nicola giggled at that statement. "Your funny Jack." Jack rubbed his head shamelessly. As if he was trying to flirt with Nicola.

"Hey Jack, whoes the new gal?" A boy ask.

"Race, meet Nicola, Nicola. Race." Jack said

Race looked Nicola square in the eye. "Ain't you a pretty one" he said raising his eyebrows. Nicola pushed Race out of her face quickly. She pushed him so hard that he fell on the floor. The other boys started laughing. "Ya a strong one too." Race said, as he lifted himself off the floor.

Suddenly he felt around his body as if he was looking for something. "Lose something?" One of the boys asked. Race turned. He face turned red with anger. Hey that's my cigar, Race sang. You'll steal anoder. Said the boy.

And before Nicola knew it all of the boys were singing. Ain't it a fine life carring the banner through it all. She thought the tune very catchy and eventually sang along.

Soon the Newsies were geeted to a circulation desk. "Papes for Newsies line up" said a mean looking man. "Watch and learn Nicola" said Jack. He went up to the desk and pounded down fifty cents. "Morn'n Wisel. Take my usual."

"100 papes for the wise guy" said Wisel. The boys that Nicola knew too well were there.

"Have a look here boss" said Morris. "New kid, and it's a Girl"

Nicola shook and walked up to the desk. "5-50 papes please" she managed to stutter. She took her fifty and quickly ran to get away from the boys when she ran into a boy about the same age as Jack and knocked out the papers in his hands. "Oh my gosh. I am so sorry" she said.

The boy looked at he. "It's ok." he said picking up is papers. "My name is David"

"I'm Nicola"

"Nicola. I like that name"

"Are you a friend of Jack"

"Yeah I'm his partner along side of my little brother Les."

A younger boy about the age of ten poked his head out from behind of his older brother. "Your pretty" he said.
Thwack
"Les, good gracious the least you can say is hello first I-I mean" David stated to blush.

"Come on Les, we have to find Jack"

"If ya lookin' don't look too hard cause I'm right here" Jack appear into view. "Nicola, you'll be comin' with Dave, Les, and I. Sound good?" Nicola nodded. "Sweet" Les said...