Oh, My Alice! // The Knight of Hearts // Part One.

"If you do not know where you would like to go, then it doesn't really matter which path that you take, does it?"

You regretted entering the wild woods after only a few minuets.

It was dark here, darker then pitch and cold and confusing. A dull glow from the forest (what was it, this pale red light?) was all that you had to light your way and though it seemed to be glowing brighter and brighter, it was not enough to help you find your way. The paths took twists and turns that took you all over and you were lost within only a few moments. As you walked, the wind began to whisper and noises began to emerge from the woods: chattering and chirping, growling and crunching.

The wild woods came alive in the darkness...and you were scared, so so scared.

The sound of quick, powerful footsteps only frightened you more...someone was coming quickly down the path, heading right towards you. Freezing on the path, your heart went wild and your eyes grew wide as the figure stepped out of the shadows and came towards you...it was a man. A tall, muscular man with dark red, cropped hair and black eyes. He was dressed in shining, silver armor decorated with scarlet heart on the chest and a flowing red cape, a sword sheathed at his hip and a red lantern in hid hand.

When he saw you, the man froze for a split second.

In fact, you both froze and simply stared at one another. His dark eyes grew wide and a smile slowly spread across his face. He looked so...happy. He looked so positively overjoyed at the very sight of you.

"Alice!"

Dropping his lantern, he ignored the mighty smash and the shattering of glass, stepping over the glass shards and glowing, red embers. He ran down the path until he was standing right in front of you, reaching out towards you. The stranger picked you up into his mighty arms, holding you closer and tighter then you'd expected.

"Oh, Alice! Oh, you're okay!!"

Your ribs nearly cracked beneath his grip and you found yourself flinching and struggling in his arms. There was something so...odd about this man. He was too happy, too intense, too familiar with you...and why was he calling you Alice? The more these thoughts swirled around your head, the more this strange feeling grew...

Was it fear? Was it unease?

What was this sick, horrible feeling deep inside?

You weren't sure but whatever it was, it had you pulling away from his tight grip, crashing down onto the ground as you looked at him. For a moment, he looked shocked almost angry even. A bit of fear bubbled inside and you wondered what he might do...

But then he smiled, shaking his head a little. Anger and shock melted away form his pale face as the stranger said softly,

"I forgot...you don't remember me, do you darling? You're...different now."

Different? What did he mean? Standing up on shaky legs, you watched as he looked away for a moment. The strange feeling twisted inside of you and you wondered...what was he thinking of? There was a sad, wistful sort of smile on his face as he looked back at you. Then he bowed low and neatly and said in his deep voice,

"I'm Allistor, Knight of Hearts. Welcome back to Wonderland, Alice."

"I don't...I don't understand...what do you mean? What's going on?" You asked him.

"You really don't remember do you," Allistor asked, "Well...maybe it's better that way. Maybe it will be better this time."

He brightened at his own words, a look of confidence and determination coming onto his face. At any other time, you would have thought that the knight was rather handsome with his bright smile and good looks...but all you could see was a certain strangeness about him. Was it his eyes, the pits of darkness that reminded you too much of the Wild Woods? Was it his smile, the way it looked as though there was something hiding behind it?

You didn't know.

Everything was so strange and confusing and you were left scrambling to figure it all out. You were left staring at Allistor, the unease in your chest growing and growing as each minuet passed. You'd been left so scared that you'd forgotten all about the wilderness around you...until it came alive again.

The wind began to howl, all kinds of creatures singing along with it.

Creatures howled and hissed, moving through the trees like shadows. They called and crawled and ran and rushed, creating a cold kind of fear in the air. Allistor stiffened at the sounds, placing a gloved hand on his blade.

"Alice..." he said quietly, "we need to leave. It isn't safe here."

Something, some kind of animal was coming closer and closer. You could hear it moving quickly through the brush, leaves rustling and twigs cracking beneath its feet. Allistor made a move towards you and, despite your terror of this darkness, you backed away. The knight frowned deeply, though his eyes never left the direction of the noise.

"Please, Alice, just trust me." Allistor begged.

This something, this creature came closer. You realized that it was moving behind you and, in one moment, three things happened:

You turned to face the animal.

Whatever it was, you had to see it. It was as though some part of you still didn't believe that any of this was real and needed to see this creature, no matter how dangerous it was. Would it be dangerous? So many strange things existed in Wonderland...but could it hurt you? Could it kill you?

Allistor grabbed your arm tightly.

His grip was cold and nearly painful, gloved fingers diffing deeply into your skin. You cried out instantly, but he did not let go. Did the knight know that he was hurting you? Did he even care? Whatever the answer may be...he did not let you go.

And a large, white rabbit burst out of the trees.

You heard Allistor gasp, glancing back to see his dark eyes full of rage. Was it at you, you wondered. Or the rabbit? He mumbled something about "that sick bastard" and you asked yourself...what was wrong with this red eyed rabbit?

"Alice," Allistor said through tight, gritted teeth, "we're leaving now."

Somewhere inside, you knew that he was right. The Wild Wood was too dangerous to remain in any longer. Right now, it was a rabbit. But what would you do if something bigger and hungrier stepped through the trees?

You needed to leave...but should you leave with Allistor?

There was something dark and strange about him, something that felt so...wrong. Deep inside, you wondered if you could trust him at all...

Should you go your own way?

Perhaps, you thought, you might just be able to make your way out of these woods. But what if you couldn't? What if something happened?

What were you going to do?

Go with Allistor.

Go off on your own.