Oh, My Alice! // The Mad Hatter // Part Three.

Take the tea and cake.

You had to. After all, you had nowhere else to go.

Yes, the Mad Hatter was crazy, but so was everyone else in Wonderland...so would it really be safe for you to leave the tea party? If you did, where would you go? Who would you go to for help? Though Jervis was still so very, very strange...and that terrible feeling still bubbled up inside...you pushed it down.

Perhaps, you thought, if you were only a little patient with him, the Mad Hatter would indeed be able to help you find your way through Wonderland.

So you smiled as sweetly as you could, pretending you weren't at all terrified, and picked up your fork, thanking him as you did. Your hands were shaking and your heart was thumping in your chest, beating and booming against your ribs. You felt as though you were drowning in your fear but the Hatter...he as so oblivious, so cheerful. While you were shaking with fear, he was smiling and looking at you with round, pale eyes.

"Oh, Alice!" the Hatter said, "I'm so happy."

Was he?

Was your presence really so invigorating to him? You shivered, still trying to smile as you bit into your cake.

The cake was too sweet and too sugary, almost like the Hatter's strange smile. His pale eyes were fixed upon you, watching your every move as though it were the most enthralling thing. It was so...so strange. So unnerving. And suddenly your cake felt quite try as you swallowed it, coughing and wondering what on earth the Hatter was thinking.

Must he stare at you so?

Must he make that sickening, terrible feeling churn and bubble? Desperate to break the unnerving silence and his even more unnerving stare, you struggled to speak, still coughing as you thought of something to say.

"Um...Hatter?"

He giggled, shaking his head as though you had just said the silliest, sweetest thing he'd heard in his life. His pale eyes grew bright and gleeful, his smile wide and happy.

"Please, Alice, we're old, new friends! You can call me Jervis!"

He grinned and giggled as you played with your fork, dragging it through the thick, bright blue frosting slowly.

"Jervis," you said, causing his smile to grow even wider, "why am I here?"

"Why, dear, you're hear because you chose me! I'm ever so happy that you did, you could have chosen anyone after all. Matty, the Knight, that damn cat...you could have them all but you have me, me, me!" He said, sounding positively giddy at the very idea of it.

"No, no, I mean here." you repeated, "In Wonderland. Why am I in Wonderland?"

He stopped.

Stopped smiling, stopped giggling, stopped everything. His pale, gray eyes seemed to grow a little colder and seemed so far, far away, as though he was somewhere else entirely. And for a moment, he remained utterly silent before he snapped back and said,

"You're here to play, Alice. You have to play the game, silly dear, you know that! Take some tea, darling."

You didn't. Instead, you took another bite of the too sweet cake, nearly chocking on it. The coldness slipping through your stomach and dryness in your throat felt as though it was chocking you from the inside and the confusion...the fear...the questions. Mind racing, heart thumping, chocking, shaking, smiling...

"What...what do you mean?" You asked. "What game? Why am I playing?"

He looked baffled at your questions and almost...angry.

"Because...because you're Alice! Because you wanted to! You wanted to play, dear, you wanted me. Oh, you just don't understand! You're just confused!"

It was true.

You didn't understand.

You were confused.

And what's more, you were so very afraid. Jervis was starting to confuse and frighten you, his too wide smile and his gray eyes burning into you all at once. The cell phone was still in your pocket, though and you wondered...was this the game? Was it all real? And would you have to play it?

You didn't want to. You didn't want to play this terrible game.

"Alice?"

The Hatter was looking at you, smiling at you, and holding a steaming cup of tea towards you. You started coughing again, chocking on both air and fear and perhaps a bit of cake, and Jervis quickly pushed the tea into your hands.

"Drink up, dear, you'll feel better."

You did it.

Lifting the white and gold tea cup up to your shaking lips, you took a tiny sip of the tea Jervis had been so insistent that you drink. And he watched as you did, excitement growing on his pale face as you swallowed the steaming drink.

The tea was hot and sweet and...strange.

There was another, lingering taste beneath the tea and sugar, something sweet and sticky. The taste of it stayed one your tongue, burning softly.

"Oh, Alice," Jervis whispered, "you don't understand but that's alright! I'll help you play the game and this time...this time things will be so much better. You'll see. You'll understand soon enough, dear Alice..."

Something was wrong.

Something was terribly, terribly wrong.

The world was beginning to melt around you, spinning and swirling and morphing into terrifying mess of shadows and slips of light. And the Mad Hatter...he was smiling, laughing, his pale eyes gleaming as the darkness took over. His wicked, wild laugh echoed as the world slowly faded away.

"Don't you worry, Alice! I'm going to take care of you now!"

Everything was gone, the shadows swirling and swallowing the world as you slumped forward. Jervis caught your limp body, holding you tightly as he laughed gleefully.

"I'll take care of everything, dear Alice..."

You are...Sweet Alice! Your choice made the Mad Hatter very happy! He wants you to know that he's going to take care of everything for you, sweetheart!