Oh, My Alice! // The White Rabbit // Part Two.

William's house.

Where else would you go? What else would you do? Wonderland was growing darker by the second, strange dangers coming alive by the very minuet. Would it be safe out there? Would you be safe here? That dark gleam still shone through his red eyes...

You didn't want to make him angry. And that left you with no other choice but to accept William's invitation and take tea with him.

"I'll go." You said in a tiny voice.

William was just thrilled at your answer, smiling as he quickly took your hand in his (oh, how his touch made you shiver! How horribly cold it was!) lead you away, pulling you towards his home.

"Oh, Alice, how pleased I am!" He said cheerfully. "Wonderland is so much nicer when you're here with us, truly."

From his pocket, he produced two things: his pocket watch that he quickly checked (what was that he said about having just enough time?) and a set of keys. How strange they were, all different styles and sizes. Some golden and ornate, some silver and plain, some small, some large, some shining, some rusted! But one key stood out. The largest key was bronze and worn, decorated with a curly heart and swirls.

William grinned at it before plucking a small, silver key up and quickly unlocking his door.

"Come in, come in, Alice!"

With his hand on the small of your back, William steered you swiftly inside his neat little house. Everything was so...pretty. Neat and clean and lacy and all in white. A little table covered in a pristine white cloth, white chairs and couches and a big marble white fires place. Pictures covered the walls, some of rabbits and flowers and one...

One of William and a woman.

He looked so happy, a big smile on his face and red eyes shining and she...she looked so scared. Though she smiled, it did not reach her eyes, which were full of tears and pure, wild fear.

But without another word, William had steered you to the table and sat you down, promising to come back in only a moment with tea and sandwiches and freshly baked carrot cake. You were left alone with your race heart and that...that picture. Oh, how horrible it was! How much it worried you! Was that the other Alice, you wondered...had William...had she...

"Here we go!"

William returned with a tray full of white china cups and little flowered plates, a pot of tea steaming, sandwiches neatly stacked and carrot cake already cut. Excitedly, he poured you a cup of tea and told you to have anything you wanted, smiling all the while.

"Oh! It was so nice of you to join me!" William said. "I do so love our visits!"

"Have I...have I been here before?"

"Yes, yes, many times now. I always try to get you to visit but, well..." He drifted away, glancing, you noticed, at the picture of him and the woman, "...well, things can go awry. But you know that, dear! Sandwich or cake, Alice?"

You took neither, drinking your tea instead, but oh, how you wished you hadn't!

It tasted...strange you realized. Sugary in a way that was not sugar, a sickeningly sweet taste that made you cough and choke. Your hands rushed to your throat, grasping the already burning flesh as you struggled to breathe.

"Oh! Alice!"

He was smiling.

"My dear Alice!"

His grin was growing wider and wider as your body became so very, very cold. Eyes gleaming brighter as you became so...rigid. Stiff and cold and so very scared!

"Alice!" William said. "You mustn't misunderstand me, darling, I'm doing this for your own good. I'm doing this for us, you see."

William stood up, reaching across the table to caress your cheek. You tried to slap him away, you tried to scream and shout and run but...but you couldn't. A coldness had crept over your body and you couldn't move or speak. Frozen in place, all you could do was watch as William came closer to your weakened form.

"Don't you understand?"

He said, hand caressing your cheek. His very touch had fear pumping thorough your veins, heart and mind racing with terror.

"I'm doing this because I love you!"

You wanted to scream. You wanted to cry. You wanted to run, run, run away from this terrible man and his wicked Wonderland but, oh, you couldn't!

"Oh, I'll take care of you and keep you safe!"

Frozen in place, all you could do was blink and breathe and watch as William crept closer and closer...touching you, smiling at you, oh how you hated it!

"And this time...this time things will be so different."

William held you now, holding you so carefully as he picked you up, plucking you up from your chair and holding you so delicately, like a little porcelain doll. He sighed so happily, looking down at you with his red, red eyes...

"You'll understand soon, Alice. This time I'll be so very careful with you, dear, I won't get nearly so upset!"

So red...

"And once you understand then everything will just...fall into place! We'll play the game together, Alice, and it will be just wonderful."

Like blood...

Humming softly, William walked through the white little house with you held in his arms. Up the stairs he went, higher and higher until...he brought you to an attic. It was small and cold and made out as a bedroom: a bed with frilly white sheets and pillows, a vanity table and white wardrobe, rabbit dolls and books and things all over. He laid you down upon the bed, trying your arms and legs down before checking his watch once more.

"Oh! I have to go!"

His cold lips kissed your cheeks and away he went, leaving you...

Frozen.

Trapped.

And so very afraid.

You are...Sweet Alice! William just loved having you over to tea, though he hated having to leave you behind. Don't worry, dear! He'll be home soon!