Oh, My Alice! // The Mad Hatter // Part Two.

Refuse them and try to leave.

You could not stay here.

Something told you that you simply could not sit and listen to the Mad Hatter's nonsensical babbling and...and you couldn't stand his pale eyes. His strange smile. And this awful, terrible feeling that was growing and growing deep inside your belly. Jervis was looking at you, half tense and half excited as he awaited your answer.

He couldn't help you, you realized, or maybe he simply wouldn't. Standing up, you made to turn away from the tea party and said,

"I...I have to go."

"No!"

His thin hand was like a snake, quick and cruel as he wrapped it around your wrist. A vice like grip nearly crushed your bones as the Hatter tugged you closer to him.

"No, no, NO! You CANNOT leave again, Alice, don't you understand?!" His voice was heavy with desperation and rage as he tightened his grip, ignoring your cries, "You HAVE to be here! Everything is so much BETTER with you here and you...you cannot leave. You must play the game, dear Alice."

A twisted smile came upon the Hatter's face, a wild and excited and mean little grin,

"Yes...yes! You must play the game, Alice, we all must!"

Wrenching your hand away from his python grip, you nearly stumbled over your chair from the force. Steadying yourself by snatching hold of the table cloth, crumpets and cakes and tea cups fell into crumbs and shards as you backed away from the Hatter.

"I don't have to do anything!"

He stood up, towering over you as his chair crashed upon the soft grass. Pale eyes were full of anger, a wild and terrible look coming upon him.

"Yes you do! WE ALL PLAY THE GAME, ALICE!"

He came closer.

You backed away.

And when he made as though he was going to grab you again, you ran. Through the garden and down the path you ran, feeling sicker and sicker every second. And the Mad Hatter ran after you, shouting as he did.

"Alice! Alice, please come back!"

Your feet pounding along the forest path, twisted trees tugging and scraping at your skin. Terror filled your veins and your heart pounded against your ribs, as though your very blood wished to escape the Hatter's wrath. He was screaming, running, shouting, raging! You could hear his feet just behind you and his anger...you felt it. You feared it. And you ran faster, hoping and wishing and something, anything, might save you from him.

Some hopes are fulfilled.

Some wishes are granted.

But yours was not.

His cold, pale hands grasped your hair, pulling you back into his iron grip. Your screams echoed into the chilled air along with...with his laughter. His wicked, wild laughter rang through the night as the Mad Hatter dragged you back into his garden. You fought and kicked and screamed all the way but...it was useless.

No one heard you.

No one came.

And you were pulled back to the table. The Mad Hatter was babbling angrily, sometimes mumbling and sometimes screaming and you only caught bits and pieces of his rambling rant.

"You're always like this-"

"I don't understand!"

"-so difficult!"

"I just want to help you!"

"So stubborn!"

"Alice!!"

He forced you into a chair, pulling at the patched table cloth and ripping off a long, uneven stream. Your fought his strong grip but the Hatter won once again, binding your hands together and then to the table.

You were trapped.

And he was smiling again, thin lips twisting upwards into a manic grin as his pale eyes flashed. His shaking hands reached out, cupping your face ever so softly.

"Alice...oh, Alice!" He gasped. "You must understand me, I mean you no harm! No, no, no, I could never harm you, Alice, I...I only want to help you! I want to help you, darling, you don't know the rules! You don't know the game!"

He stopped. The Mad Hatter stood tall, pulling away from you. Over the table he reached, picking up the cup of tea he had offered you before. Though you pulled and tugged at your bindings, you were unable to escape...and the Hatter, he didn't even notice. Your fighting, your pulling, your screaming and crying...he saw none of it. He was mumbling again, talking to himself quietly and quickly, and you heard none of it.

Except for one little bit.

"Everyone must play the game." The Mad Hatter said.

And then he was forcing your mouth open, pouring the too sweet tea down your throat. You fought and chocked and screamed, tea bubbling from your lips but still streaming down, down, down.

"Oh, Alice!" the Mad Hatter cooed, "be a good dear, please!"

He kisses you, forcing your mouth closed and the tea down your throat. It burned and bubbled and...and you were tired. Tired and sick, the world spinning wildly around you. Everything became blurry and then dark and then...and then...

The Hatter. He was smiling.

And his smile was the last thing you saw as the darkness swallowed you whole.

You are...Sour Alice! Your choice made the Mad Hatter unhappy. He's sorry that he was rough with you but you were being rather difficult...