Chapter 4

When that Monday came, and the braid returned, Kaya walked into the Roaming Gypsy Tattoo Parlor feeling better about her predicament with Ian. Refusing advancements from some mob men did that to a girl. Ian walked in–she was ready. Without acknowledging her, Ian set up shop at the other post and ignored her presence the entire day, and then some for the next two weeks.

Until the day Kaya was attacked. It was nearing the full moon again, with just under a week until the curse took effect. The spirit she suppressed was stirring dangerously close to the surface of her mind. The beast that was Betsy coiled beneath her skin, slinking in and out of her consciousness with snarky remarks.

The morning air was cold and breezy, with slight hints of fog swirling around the manholes. It being a Friday, Kaya was in turmoil about washing her hair that night. The anxiety didn't register as anything but that, because with such long hair wet, sickness with this cold weather was alarmingly real. And alarmingly dangerous.

The shop was stuffy and to the point of choking a person upon entrance. Kaya walked in and immediately had to shuck off her overcoat and scarf.

"Damned cold front." She muttered to Ian, who ignored her. Sighing, and a bit peeved that he was acting like a child, Kaya went to the front stool and prepared herself for the day.

At noon, where several customers stormed in out of the cold and pouted when Kaya said she was going on break, she set out to go get some lunch. The three young adult men took pleasure in copping a feel as Kaya walked past them, to which Ian took pleasure in tossing them out on their heels. He turned away and stormed back into his sisters' shop without looking back at Kaya.

She took a deep breath to calm her nerves. Ian was pissing her off more and more, ignoring her like this; treating her like she did something wrong. How was she supposed to know her Bossman and her boss weren't on good terms? How was she supposed to know that they loathed each other besides what was norm between a dual spirit and a spiritless? Kaya rolled her eyes and stared at the closing door for a moment too long. When a hand touched her shoulder briefly then grasped it and kept hold, the reality of her anxiety fell upon her.

Oh shit.

Drawing in a deep breath, she flung her body around and drew out a switchblade which she chucked, aim true and dangerous, before dodging off into the traffic and towards a fire escape.

When she was awarded the position at the Roaming Gypsy, Kaya spent the weekend mapping out her escape route if they ever found her then mastered the route until she could do it in pitch black. Handy it came now as she relied on muscle memory to do most of the work for her.

She drew close and latched on, jumping up and over the edge then did something she shouldn't have. She called on her spirit animal and pushed the extra speed and agility into her limbs–flinging upwards, crashing into the second-floor landing. Steadying herself, she flung up again, steadying herself on the third landing before starting the process over. Finally, the roof. Her feet pounded against drying and cracked plaster and tar as she took off over the top of the structure. Without thought, the native leapt across the buildings, using the momentum to dash forward and leap again. Around the fifth time of cresting rooftops, Kaya began the journey down, skipping the stairs and jumping from landing to landing until she reached ground. The adrenaline was pumping through her veins, her spirit was admonishing her and praising her–for her stupidity and her quick thinking. Not bothering to reply, Kaya moved off the side of the fire escape rail and made her way to the wall behind it, looking behind twice. No one.

Her fingertips dragged against the rough drywall, looking for the opening she sought when her shoulder was grasped again and not let go. The sea-green eyes of hers shut close as reality fell again. She was screwed. They were going to take her. Her brothers' sacrifice was for naught.