Chapter 13

Kaya leaned into the plush seats, listening to the radio play some Cubano music that she couldn't follow.

Boss was scowling. His native child was working with a bunch of spirit animals. He wouldn't have minded if they were anyone else but those two. Why hadn't she said something? Did she know? He briefly glanced at her. Considering she was human, that would be a no. The scowl never wavered, even with that thought. She was the big one's mate; he almost hissed from disgust.

Kaya stared at the radio, ignoring the tension in the air. Her mind was on the pain she felt from him. It was palpable, and the emotion left a sour taste in her mouth. If Ian tried to do something about Bossman and her two gorillas, he surely be left somewhere un-alive. By the emotions rolling off her men, they weren't happy either. It never occurred to her that these three, each part and not a part of her world, would be on wrong terms with the dual spirits. The thoughts swirled in her mind, bringing Betsy back to the forefront. "You're pissing off our mate, Kaya," was the warning. "You need to stop."

Kaya rolled her eyes. They were yellow. Not my fault my friends and my mate aren't getting on. Then she thought, stop being a heifer Betsy.

The car rolled to a stop in front of a two-story mansion. It's withering vine-covered gates offered piss poor protection. No one was stupid enough to mess with her Boss. As the car drove up the pebbled driveway, hordes of people drifted out the double oak door frame and waited. It was an intimidating sight. It made Kaya roll her eyes at the man she didn't know the name of. The bossman: her Boss.

He laughed. Thug two hid a grin behind a hand as he opened the hefty black door and bowed as Boss departed first. Kaya smiled evilly, letting the chill of her attitude affect those around her. Throughout the years, she'd mastered the art of creeping out others, scaring them, and pissing people off. It was all with the attitude she presented, and the expression that went with it. The evil smile was her favorite.

As she drew out a leg first, which was unscarred and a natural dark tan, she could practically feel the collective gasp. Her body followed. She was wearing a black and red crop top and a short black mesh ballerina skirt, with stiletto heels that made her smile at the irony.

Her ebony hair wasn't pitch-black ebony, but instead streaked with various dark colors of brown and honey colors. Every man in Boss's gang stared; some ogling who were promptly spurned by the two gorillamen–they took guard up next to her. Boss walked forward, conversing with this pathetic looking thing of a man. Stringy straw hair that limped against a misshapen forehead and a bulbous nose.

Kaya took in all the men with her twisted smile, pleased when many shuddered. Thug one put a hand on her shoulder and squeezed which Kaya shrugged off with a wink. Then they were through the door and into the main hallway. A maid rushed forward, darting glances from Boss to his guest, to whom she smiled reassuringly. Kaya raised an eyebrow but made no move to greet the lady. "Monsieur, dinner will be served in ten." She did a lady bow, winked at Thug two and sashayed off. Kaya cracked a grin, moving her hazel eyes to the flushing guard.

"Would you like a tour of the compound?" Boss asked, his voice dark and menacing before was soft and slippery now. Everyone in the hall held their breath, looking between three two.

"I forgot," She started, leaning against Thug one. Bossman raised an eyebrow, waiting for her next words, which he knew and was expecting. The reaction from his men was something he was dying to see. "Kill anyone this week?"

He nor she was disappointed with said reactions. Two of the men sipping water choked and had to be pounded on the back to get air flowing again. Several just shuffled away from her, either uneasy and wary or too shocked to do anything else. One man fainted in surprise. One look from Boss and Thug two went forth and dragged him out. "Does that answer your question?" He replied, to which Kaya smirked.