Chapter 14

Tamin mentioned wanting to see something in Dallas, Texas a week after their stay at the motel of hell but Ian, still driving, couldn't find the location. It was a moot point of visiting anyway, and Kaya figured Tamin just wanted to get out of the truck long enough to get away from the tense atmosphere between him and Jazbel. Ever since Jazzy let the story about her fiancé out, Tamin was even more uncomfortable around his mate.

Something happened between the two, Ian and Tamin. Something huge by their jovial attitude towards another. Kaya was determined to ignore it. Maybe they had a heart-to-heart like Jaz and she did. Maybe they were putting up a front. Whatever it was, Kaya let it go.

In a small town of Texas, Kaufman be the name, Kaya and the rest decided to stretch their wings a bit by running through the pastures. Kaufman had a post office and that was all. A place of maybe a few hundred humans; it was picturesque and very post-card scene for a Texan town. And they ran. Not together. Ian and Kaya had yet to work out what they felt about one another. She still bent about his anger-induced spite, he still wary about that word. Tamin and Jaz were of the same, vice-versa though it was.

They reached Mexico by the next week. It was Ian's idea to go there, and the rest just went with it. He had had looked at Kaya for confirmation, knowing on a deeper level that she would know best in running and hiding.

Time was moving fast for them. They drove the truck right on through with some fake passports Kaya secretly made up for everyone weeks before she and Tamin left. When she pulled them out of her saddle bag from the motorcycle and passed them out, it was a bit laughable. "In case the highway inspection gate at the border needs them." She murmured, embarrassed.

"Why are you embarrassed?" Betsy inquired, to which Kaya made no comment.

"When did you make these?" Tamin asked, looking at his which stated that he was from Mobile, Alabama.

Kaya replied with, "I like to be prepared."

Ian scoffed. He murmured, "That's for damn sure."

The pass through the border went smoothly, not needing the fake passports. It did take two hours at a standstill in a parking lot wannabee.

They drove on through from San Antonio. Mexico had a few packs here that Ian were in contact with, but thanks to being on the run he wasn't going to contact them. Unfortunately, it was Kaya who told them this, as Ian wanted to meet some of the pack leaders face to face for the first time. He felt a fool and kept silent.

Mexico was not all desert as most people believed. Not to be deterred too much by that point, the country was mostly desert. Nothing but sand and cactus for miles until towns of rundown and dingy houses and even dingier and rundown folk. It was a place Kaya had been in before, even if not this town or the next one.

She took great precaution to visit the places she hid the money and whatever else she needed. Gatlinburg only had funds, but other places had weapons, like Mobile.

Coming into Matehuala, everyone needed a break. After fourteen straight hours of driving, traversing highways and towns, it was time for a shift and a run-around. It was exactly a month since they ran and Kaya felt they were getting close to the full moon. Thankfully, Jaz and Ian knew of that part of the curse so there was no need for an explanation.

Hefting the motorcycle off the truck bed, Ian placed it on the ground and cranked it over. The engine sputtered before dying. Three weeks of not using the bike must have drained the battery. "I'm going to stay here and charge the battery," Ian decided, walking past Kaya and to the truck. Kaya reversed his tracks and fumbled in the saddle bags of the bike for the jumper/charger cables. Lifting them out, she tossed them to Jaz who stated, "I rather do that, bro."