Setting/Character Accuracy

Even if you have perfect grammar and planned your plot well, it's still possible to fuck up. In this chapter, I'll address some common mistakes and how to fix them.

I've said this before, but it's important enough to repeat: you need to make sure that your characters actually seem like real people. You don't want one or two unique main characters and everyone else is a generic slab of flesh to fill up space. It can be hard, but it can also be done. If you didn't read the section on pre-writing, go back and find the part about characters and bios. If it's hard for you to think of interesting traits while you're writing (and maintain them), construct them before you write.

(NOTE: Your characters don't need to be exactly like the band member. They don't need to have all or even any of the same tattoos. They don't have to like the same movies. Don't bend the plot around technicalities. They're your characters).

There is a massive problem with underdeveloped females in fanfiction. I understand that gay stuff is great, but females are people too. I think one of the problems with this is that there aren't many female band members. Some people think that they have to make every single character even mentioned in the fic a band member (which I am actually pretty guilty of, oops). Most fanfic worlds are at best 80% concentrated with males, and when there are female characters, it's Jenna McDougall and/or Tay Jardine. This may come as a shock to you, but it's fine to create original characters. You can write a fic for a pairing even if they're the only band members you include. Just treat your female characters with respect, alright? Don't make them complete assholes or boring as shit, and don't cast them as one of a hundred generic scene girls on the internet.

While it is important to make every character different and unique, you also have to remember to be realistic. One of the most annoying things to read is a fic where half of the characters are gay. Homosexuality in real life happens to be uncommon. You can give me shit about bisexuality being the norm, blah, blah, whatever. Let me ask you this: if you asked fifty people on the street about their sexuality, how many of them do you think would say something other than straight? Evolutionarily, being straight is a survival tactic. Reproduction. The human race would not have survived this long if there were as many homosexuals in real life as there are in fanfictions. Basically, if your setting calls for a relatively general population, probably the only gay people should be your two main characters. It's a little different in a more particular setting, i.e. a support group for LGBTQ characters; but you can use your brain on that one.

Also remember that, in most settings, there should be some degree of homophobia. I live in Washington, which is a pretty liberal state, and may it be rare, there is homophobia here. There's homophobia everywhere. Most parents and grandparents will be repulsed by their child's homosexuality. This is even more important in historical fics. If 1950's William and Gabe hold hands in the street, I can guarantee you that a riot would ensue. Homophobia sucks cock, but it's a reality.

And now we get to the topic of emotions. Emotions can be extremely difficult to write, especially transitioning between them. Really, the only advice I can give you on this is to be careful. If Jack is blind-rage-pissed at Alex, he can't fix it just by kissing him or saying he loves him. To go along with that, you need to make sure that the romance progresses logically and at a realistic speed. You can't fall in love without getting to know someone first. There is a massive difference between attraction and romantic feelings. What's more, having romantic feelings does not equate to love. Love is a wild, intense, strong, and unforgiving feeling. It's when you don't ever want to live without the other person; when they physically feel like a part of you. If your characters profess their love for each other less than a month after meeting, we all know that you're probably twelve.

Now, it can be different with mental illnesses. There are disorders that make people obsessive. It's imperative, though, that you do your research if you're going to write about someone with a mental illness. Get to know the thoughts and actions of someone with manic depression and the differences between them. And while we're on the subject of being realistic, I want to point something out: love, usually, cannot cure a mental illness. Love can make someone with a mental illness happier, but it can't rewrite the chemical imbalances in someone's brain. Your plot should not center around Patrick helping Pete get over his depression by doing little more than fucking and saying nice things about him. A lot of times, it takes medication and/or therapy. Make sure you know your shit before writing about a mental illness.