A short transition to their new old life

"Isn't it marvelous how it seems that time doesn't pass in here?" Chase entered ominously to a quite dusty mansion few steps from the Barn they first appeared on. "This is my legacy. Well, from the side of my biological father. Don't worry! Nobody ever comes here since the Putnams were banished from Ipswich. But according to my lawyer, I can take possession of this whenever I want."

"It is dusty." Alessa said to conceal the fear she had at the fact that they were alone without clothing, food or their important belongings.

"Lucky we are wizards." Chase said with that lopsided smile that demonstrated once again his overconfidence about everything.

Cleaning the place was fun and Alessa relaxed with the activity. It was a matter of pointing, signaling and hand weaving for sheets to fly away and curtains to open. When they finished with dust and old stuff, they went to turn on the electric transformer. They returned to the main room that featured a big chimney and sat on one of those old fashioned loveseats. Chase then magically invoked fire. For an instant, they only sound they could hear was the crack of the fire.

"We'll have to get food and internet." Alessa said frowning.

"Good thing you have your priorities sorted out sweetheart." By now, a shadow appeared on Chase's handsome features. "It was almost a year ago..." He let the phrase incomplete, but they both knew he was talking about: the ascension and the fight he had with Caleb.

"I know... you have grown much Chase Collins." Alessa came close and hugged him by the shoulders. He noticed that her left shoulder was warm and he let himself be embraced by her warmth. Before he let his thoughts consume him further, he called for them to end the day. "Time to go to sleep."

The Manor was far bigger than the apartment they have shared for almost a year. They had around ten rooms to choose from to make their spaces. They recognized the Principal Room the moment they opened the door. It was fairly ample, with its own bathroom and changing room. This room will be for Chase, as it was his inheritance and chief of the family now. But for that night, Alessa didn't want to sleep alone, after all she had gone through recently she wanted his company, to listen to him saying goodnight like every other night. She had grown accustomed to their routine together and now that she seemed to have lost the life she knew, sleeping in the same room seemed to be the only familiar thing she could hold on to. But she was too afraid to ask him.

There was a silent pause that both noticed went for too long.

"Alessa Weathon..." Chase said in the same solemn voice he heard her pronouncing his name several times during a year. "I know you are a powerful Priestess that doesn't need protection and can manage on her own. However I would feel better if, at least for tonight, we stick to the routine of sleeping in the same room." His tone change to a more familiar one. "The bed is big enough for the two of us. We are safe here."

A rose tint crept to Alessa's cheeks, it make her look cute to his eyes. To know that she could cut all the scrubs and move fallen trees with a hand without a sweat and yet be so vulnerable as to ask for company made Chase to feel important.

They changed into pajamas, ones that they conjured to start their night ritual. It was fantastic to find a double sink bathroom, so they didn't have to wait for the other to finish his turn. When they were ready, they went under the blankets on each side of the bed, falling asleep almost immediately.

"Sweet dreams Witch Boy."

"Good night Sweetheart."