The Visit

After being in Florida for the passing month, Clarissa thought convenient to return home, especially after the call she received from her daughter. It was clear that the power of Rowena didn't pass to her but she needed to be sure if Alessa received the extra powers from her Grandmother. She expected that the other witches that hoped for the revealing time had given up already. But not Stephanie and Angelica, they were the devilish duo that wanted a Priestess for their covenant, and unfortunately for Alessa, she was one not bonded to a Covenant.

The trip Alessa and Chase made to meet Clarissa was short. Since Chase mastered how to translocate without using much power he enjoyed every second of it. Alessa felt uneasy, she had a poor rest the night before, but hoped for the best now that they were at her mother's place.

They were received by a cheerful Clarissa wearing an apron. She was baking an apple pie for the kids and waiting for Robert to come home. Her welcome smile lightens the grim mood that brought the kids to her home again. She made them enter the house and offered breakfast. When they refused because they did have breakfast before, she let them put their travel cases to the room and waited for them to come down again to talk.

After they were installed at Alessa's room, they joined Clarissa once again in the kitchen. "So, tell me what happened?"

"We were at this place with some friends" Alessa started to recount. Chase flinched to the word friends questioning inside if that applied to them, he was sure they were their friends in a broad sense of the word "and this guy whom I met days before, comes in asking if the one in the missing person poster was me because my aunts were asking desperately for my whereabouts. I just saw their names and ran away."

"Alessa, darling, I need you to be honest with me... have you felt anything strange on the following days from your Grandmother's death?"

"No..." she doubted a second before telling her mother about the mark. "But a mark appeared some days later?"

"A mark?" Clarissa's eyebrows betrayed her surprise.

"A soulmark." Chase intervened. "We have the same mark on our left shoulder."

"OF COURSE YOU HAVE!" Clarissa almost laughed at the situation. Since their last visit and the way they behaved she suspected there was a secret shared between them, plus they were very protective of each other.

"But why it appeared until now? I mean, Chase has his since birth. Why mine isn't like it?" it was the burning question Alessa was wondering since the night the mark was visible.

"Well, your Grandmother has a lot to do with that. Honestly, I had no idea you were born with a soulmark darling. Your grandmother was the first to receive you when you arrived to this world. I remember you didn't cry at first, I was so worried and tired after 18 hours of labor. When Rowena gave you to me, you had no marking at all, but I guess, your Grandmother being the fantastic witch she was put a spell on you to hide it."

"Why?" Chase was more curious about the story than Alessa.

"Because of witches like Stephanie and Angelica. As you may have noticed Chase, not all witches can create magic the way my mother and daughter do. Not even I was gifted in such way. And you have seen the power and importance of a Witch with Priestess powers, everyone want one of them in their covenant. That gives power, respect, and a long life for its members." Chase could see the appeal of the situation. He felt that greed at first. Now that he knew she was his soulmate, he felt safe using his Power. "Moreover, our covenant is so small that she could be considered a free agent. They would want to recruit her good way... or the bad way. But... if they knew she had a soulmate somewhere, they wouldn't have spared efforts to find you and use you against her. At the moment, it seemed the safest way to take since you both were really young."