Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

0 | Prologue

Prologue
t h r e e  y e a r s  a g o

"Dad!" I shouted with a grin, and I hardly thought twice before dropping my luggage in the middle of the terminal floor before crossing the twenty feet between us.

His laughter filled my ears as I wrapped my arms around him, and he held me tightly before slowly pushing away.

"How was Miami? Your aunt?" he asked as he slowly began to do his usual inspection on my appearance. "No new tattoos? Piercings? Boyfriends?"

I laughed, not fazed by his handful of questions. Every time I returned back from the summer, he'd ask the same thing.

"Miami was hot as it should be in August. Aunt Nora says hi and to stop worrying. And my skin and myself are still a virgin," I responded with and he nodded once with approval.

Even though I'd been going to aunt Nora's—dad's older sister by five years—house since I was nine years old, he still got worried each year.

More so this year because it was the first time I flew there and back solo. Before this, aunt Nora would fly her sixteen year old daughter at the time to visit for a week before we both went to Miami.

After that, dad would fly out and visit his sister for a few days before we flew back together.

"Can we get our hugs in now?" A familiar voice laughed, and I turned to my right, meeting Riya's gaze.

I squealed before throwing my arms around her slim shoulders. Her naturally dark brown, straight hair was pinned up in a pony tail, allowing me to catch the strong citrus scent that was always wrapped around her.

When we pulled back, my hazel eyes met her dark brown ones, and we both wore a matching smile.

Before I had a chance to say anything to her, another pair of arms wrapped around me, and when caught the smell of buttery popcorn, I knew it was from Serena.

A laughed escaped me before I brought my arms around her as well.

I'd known both Serena and Riya since we were twelve. More specifically, our grade seven class. Since then, we had become close friends.

Not only that, but they made an effort to come with my dad to the airport with...

"Where's Colton?" I suddenly asked as I moved away from Serena to look at dad.

His eyes dropped before sighing. "He didn't show up at the house today, so we went without him."

I frowned, slightly disappointed that he couldn't show up today. But I shoved it aside, knowing there must be a reasonable explanation.

Riya must have noticed the drop in my mood because she added, "he's probably throwing a surprise, welcome back party for you!"

When our eyes met, I smiled, laughing inside at the thought. Colton, throwing a party?

As if.

At that moment, I noticed Serena holding my luggage, and a chuckle left me, thankful that she had gotten my stuff before it was stolen.

After we'd talked for a few more minutes, we began to walk out of the airport and toward dad's parked car.

I nodded with pursed lips. "You found a spot? At this time? Impressive, dad."

It's the twenty-first of August, and not only was it Sunday, but three o'clock as well.

He smirked, proud someone recognized his amazing skills for finding good parking sports. "Thanks, buttercup."