Chapter Thirteen: Unlikely Love.

When I reached towards the doorknob, a wave of uncertainty and hesitation hit me, and I felt a heaviness in my chest. Slowly, I retracted my hand, then I froze solid. A mere knock at a door had me scared out of my wits. Perhaps I was overthinking things. Perhaps our current dilemma had made me overly paranoid. Surely, we weren't in danger, right?

"Hey," Shuichi said, placing a hand upon my shoulder, causing my wide, frightened eyes to meet his. "Step back a little." 

With a quick nod, I stepped backwards and allowed the boy behind me to step forward. With a quick motion, the male turned the doorknob, then the door flew open. It was almost like a large, forceful burst of wind blew it open; however, I knew that was impossible. Within seconds, a tall, familiar male forced his way into my apartment, causing Shuichi to stumble backwards; perhaps I was wrong in thinking that the individual behind the door wasn't dangerous. I squinted my eyes, further examining the person before me; a male with spiky hair and facial hair—Kaito Momota, undoubtedly. 

"Maki??" Kaito exclaimed, his eyes darting around the room. "She's here, right?"

"Ugh," Shuichi muttered, still a bit dazed. "What...? ...Kaito?"

"Maki Harukawa," he replied, pointing his finger towards the hazel-eyed male. "You know where she is, right?"

"No one said she was here," I spoke up, approaching the rambunctious male. "Also, you do realize you scared us half to death, right?"

"Uhhh, oh hey," he replied with a nervous chuckle, finally taking notice of me. "Sorry about that. I guess this is a bit sudden, huh?"

"Um, Kaito? Where even are we?" A calm, yet confused voice sounded outside the door, causing all three of our eyes to dart towards that direction.

"Who is..." I trailed off, my eyes widening as a somewhat familiar male stepped towards the doorway.

The male had light colored hair; so light that it appeared almost white. His hair was rather spiky as well, with a piece of hair that looked almost like an antenna sticking out from the top of his head. He appeared to be Keebo, but he did look a lot different than I remembered. Instead of having a bulky, robotic body, he appeared rather scrawny and his outfit choice wasn't flashy, or unique. He simply wore a black, button up shirt with matching pants. Among these things, his bright, blue eyes stood out the most. Even though I knew that such sophisticated robots didn't exist in the real world, seeing him as a normal, average human was rather surprising.