Serenity

Watching my parents be amorous my whole life was something that I wanted for myself when I grew up. I wanted a marriage like theirs was; solid and happy. My parents had been together since college and it was nice to see that their love was still alive. I wanted that. Every time I saw them hug or kiss each other, I pictured myself being that happy when I grew up. I watched how they got along, and how they argued, so I would know what to do and what not to do when it came to my own relationship.

Then my whole world changed just like that. My dad was on his way home from a business trip when he got sideswiped by an 18-wheeler. Apparently, the driver had fallen asleep at the wheel and had hit my dad's car. His car went careening out of control and off the road. It came to a stop when he hit a tree. The impact of it all caused severe internal injuries, which couldn't be repaired. My mom and I were devastated.

I was only 14 years old and had always been a daddy's girl. How was I going to live without my daddy? I had asked myself that question over the past three years. It had been hard living without my dad, but I maintained. I studied hard and kept my grades up. I wanted my dad to be proud of me, even though he was in heaven. I'd never be able to forgive myself if I thought I had let my dad down.

My mom, on the other hand, had a harder time coping with dad's death. I could understand why though. He had been her first real love, even though they met in college. My mom hadn't had that much experience with boys growing up, so when she met my dad, she said it was love at first sight. I loved their relationship and was so sorry that she was still suffering after three years. However, I figured she was dealing with it in her own way and in time, it would work itself out. That's why I was shocked as all hell when she came home from work one evening and announced that we were moving away from Austin.

I couldn't even explain how I was feeling right now. I mean, I was in my final year of high school at the only high school I had ever attended. How could my mom just spring this on me out of the blue? What about my friends? What about my boyfriend? How were we just going to move like that? "We're what?" I asked. I was sure I had misunderstood her. "We're moving to Houston.

I didn't tell you this before because I wasn't sure if I'd get it..." "Get what?" "Approved for the transfer I requested," she said. "Wait... what? You put in a transfer without discussing it with me first? How could you do that mom? Did it ever occur to you that I might not wanna move?" I was completely devastated, for real. "Honey, to be honest, I didn't think you'd have a problem with the move." "Are you serious? I'M IN MY SENIOR YEAR MOM!! Graduation is in less than five months!" I was livid. My senior year. This was my senior year... and she wanted me to be okay to just up and move? "Serenity , I know this comes as a shock to you, but could you please have a seat so we can discuss this? I promise I will explain everything to you. If you don't wanna move after you've heard me out, then we'll stay.
You just have to promise me that you'll listen to everything before you make a decision," she said sadly.

"Fine, I promise." I said as we sat down on the sofa.

I couldn't wait to hear her reasons for wanting me to move four hours away from all my friends and my boyfriend.

"I don't know if you've noticed or not, but I've been struggling a lot since your father died. I've tried my best to put on a brave front for you and maintain, but it's been hard."

Her eyes misted and she reached for a tissue. I knew it was hard for her because it was hard for me. Obviously, it had been harder on her than I imagined though. "Living here without your father has been absolute torture. This was the house we bought to share with our kids. We wanted to raise a family and grow old in this house. But now, that's no longer an option.

On my way home from work every day, Monday through Friday, I have to pass by the site of your father's accident. It makes me wonder was he in pain when he died... did he call for me when he realized he wasn't going to make it... what were his final thoughts. I think about all those things every single time I pass by that site. It's just been so difficult for me." She dabbed at her eyes as I reached for her hand.