Mateo

I hope I could convince my little brother to move in with me. I mean, he could work with me and we could get that money together.

It would be just like old times, but better because we'd have bitches and money. I knew he was tired of living with my auntie and uncle and following their rules. Not only that, but they had kids of their own. Even though they treated us like family, they could never treat us as their own.

And they could never take the place of our dad. He was more of a parent than the two of them put together. I didn't know where our mother was, but wherever she was, I hope she was living her best life. She had treated us like trash ever since she left us. And I say that because she ditched us and never looked back. My dad never really told us why she left and neither did anyone else in the family. I didn't care why she left because what woman would walk out on two young kids? She definitely wasn't a mother, that's for sure. I truly hope I never ran across her ass because she wouldn't like what I had to say to her. She left our dad to raise the two of us by himself, and she never called or tried to reach out to us one time. As far as I was concerned, she was dead.

My brother and I had been chilling for a couple of hours when his phone started going off. He pulled it from his pocket and looked at it. "Who is it?" I asked. "Uncle Jorge ," he said as he hit the button to receive the call. "Hello." There was a pause before he responded. "I'm with Mateo." Another pause before he spoke again. "Yea, aight." He ended the call and shoved his phone back in his pocket. "What was that about?" "He said we need to get over to his house." "Both of us?" "Yea, something about a surprise..." "What kinda surprise?"

"I'on know, but he sounded a little nervous," Marcos

"Then let's go see what he wants," I said. "Bailey"

She came running in with a huge smile. "Wassup baby?"

"I gotta go with my brother to my uncle's house. I'll be back in a few."

"Okay baby," she said as she stood on her tiptoes to give me a kiss.

I grabbed my keys and we headed to my car. The whole ride to my aunt and uncle's house, I wondered what kind of surprise they could have in store for us.

I mean, weren't we kind of old for kiddie surprises? I pulled into their driveway behind a car that I didn't recognize and turned off the engine. I looked over at my brother and asked, "Yo, whose car is that?" He shrugged his shoulders. "I'on know.

"I guess we bout to find out, huh?" We walked into the house and were greeted by our aunt and uncle. They both had smiles on their faces that stretched for miles.

They both stood there looking like the Joker from the Batman movie. I couldn't help but wonder what they were up to. "

"Hey boys, I'm glad y'all came so quickly," Aunt Celina said. "Well, we were curious about this surprise you supposedly had for us," I said.

"Well, we hope that you boys are as excited about this as we are," Uncle Jorge said. "C'mon, follow me." We followed him to the living room, where a woman was seated on the sofa.

She wore a smile as big as my aunt and uncle. She even had tears in her eyes. Marcos  and I looked from each other to our aunt and uncle, then finally back at the woman. By then, she was standing and walking toward us with outstretched arms. The more I looked at her, the more familiar her face became. I tried to think of where I remembered this woman from. And then it hit me like a ton of bricks!

She was the woman who had left us. She was the woman who had just up and abandoned her family. She was our mother. She reached for me and said, "Marcos, you've grown up so much. You're so handsome!" Tears streamed from her eyes as her bottom lip trembled. She reached out and tried to hug me, but she had to be on some other shit if she thought that was about to happen. I slapped her hands away from me. Marcos  looked at me with confusion written all over his face.