Serenity

Today was the fourth of July and Calle's had invited me to a gathering at her family's house. I took her up on it because my mom was spending time with her new boyfriend and I didn't want to feel like a third wheel.

Apparently, while I had been busy at school, she had been getting busy out here. I wasn't mad at her though. I mean, with me gone, she had to be pretty lonely. I wanted my mom to be happy, even if it was with a man I never thought she'd be with. It wasn't that he wasn't a nice guy. From what I've seen since I had been home on summer break, he was pretty cool. He just didn't seem like my mom's type.

Anyway, I had just finished eating when Marcos walked out with Carson and the other dudes. Of course, I recognized him immediately. The impression he made on me when we first met was one I wouldn't forget any time soon. I thought he'd go about his own business and not say anything to me.

Imagine my surprise when he actually walked over to me and wanted to apologize. That was the last thing I expected from him. However, I really appreciated that he recognized his wrong and apologized. It showed me that he wasn't the same jackass I met last year. After he apologized, we caught up on what we had been doing over the past year.

Marcos hadn't really told me what he did for a living, but I suspected that it was something I wouldn't agree with. With the huge diamond earring hanging from his right ear, along with the diamond encrusted letter M that hung from an expensive gold chain around his neck and the flashy watch on his wrist, I knew he had to be still in the dope game. But because we were just chatting, I didn't dwell on it.

After all, he wasn't my man, so what he did or didn't do was none of my business. He had made that very clear from the beginning, so I didn't wanna cross any of those lines again. We spent the rest of the afternoon together just catching up. When his uncle and aunt walked in with his cousins and some unknown woman, I knew it was going to be some shit. His brother quickly exited without even speaking to Marcos. The woman had tears in her eyes as she approached us, making me wonder who she was. Marcos grabbed my hand and laced his fingers through mine, sending chills down my spine. I almost let his hand go because my backbone was literally tingling.

Once the two of them began exchanging words and I realized who the woman was, I knew why his body had tensed up and his brother had left so abruptly. My heart literally broke for all three of them because I couldn't imagine how the two young men must be feeling. This was the woman who had abandoned them when they were only little kids. But I would be lying if I said I didn't feel empathy toward the woman. Regret was etched on her face as she tried to speak to her youngest son, but Marcos wasn't having it. He said what he had to say and dragged me into the house with him.

I didn't know why he was still holding my hand because it seemed to me as if he'd like to spend some time alone. But that wasn't the case. He pulled me into the bathroom with him and started crying. I didn't know what to do for him, so I did the only thing I could do. I wrapped my arms around his waist and let him know that I was there for him. This was so unexpected, but feeling his arms around me just felt right. When he pressed his lips to mine, regardless of whether I felt that tingling to my toes or not, I had to push him off me. I didn't want him to get the wrong idea about me. This wasn't that type of party. He seemed to take it well when I told him how I felt. He asked if I was interested in leaving and I said okay. The only reason I agreed was because I didn't think he should be alone. He seemed to be very emotional right now, so I wanted to help him through it.

I walked out of the bathroom and headed to the backyard to tell Calle that I was leaving. "Hey, is Marcos okay?" she asked, concern for her cousin etched in her voice. "Not really." "Where is he?" she asked. "Um, he's ready to go. He asked me to come with him, so I came to let you know that I was leaving," I said. "Oh, so you aren't spending the night with us?" Nia asked as she shot a glare my way. "I don't plan on spending the night with Marcos if that's what you're asking me. I'm not that kind of girl," I said. "What kind of girl is that?" she wanted to know. "The kind who would come out her panties for a guy she hardly knows." "Are you saying that's what I do?" Nia asked as her nostrils flared. "Did I say that? I don't know anything about your sex life. I was talking about ME!" "That's that slick talk that's gon' get you fucked up!" Oh no, that bitch didn't! She had been very flippant with me from the moment she found out Marcos was still interested in me.