Kimchi Jigae (Kimchi Stew)

This is literally one of my favorite dishes. I could eat a whole pot of this soup if I'm not careful. haha. But for those who don't know, Kimchi Jigae or Kimchi in general is a Korean dish. Korean food is my favorite, so you guys will see some recipes in this cook book for Korean food. 

So, here we go! This one is simple, but the time to cook takes a bit. 

Ingredients:

-1 tablespoon oil

-1 onion, thinly sliced

-3 cloves garlic, sliced

-½ pound pork belly or shoulder, thinly sliced

-1 pound kimchi (with juices), chopped

-1 teaspoon salt

-2 teaspoons sugar

-1 tablespoon Korean chili flakes

-1 tablespoon Gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)

- 3 cups chicken, fish, or beef broth

-8 oz. firm tofu, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices

-1 teaspoon sesame oil

-1 teaspoon 1 scallion, chopped

Directions:

Step 1: In a large pot, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and pork belly, and cook for about 5 minutes, until the pork is lightly browned and the onions start to soften.

Step 2: Add the kimchi and fry for 2 minutes or so

Step 3: Then add the salt, sugar, chili flakes, gochujang, and broth. Stir until combined.

Step 4: Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.

Step 5: Uncover and lay the tofu over the top. Replace the cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. Uncover for the last time and stir in the sesame oil.

Step 6: Garnish with the chopped scallion

**Personally, I feel it taste best with beef broth. But, of course, chicken broth works well too! Also, at any point in these directions go ahead and add some of the juices from the kimchi into the stew. Sometimes, I also like to add Enoki mushrooms, but it taste just fine without!**

***Also, this stew is even better if you can place in the fridge over night and then cook it again the next day.***