Chapter 7: The End

Ironman and I stood in the center of a room with no way out. Each exit was blocked by one of the Red Skulls henchmen. Well each exit but one.

"Stark we need a plan."

"I'm fresh out and your boyfriends no where to be found."

The doors to the unblocked exit started to open. Tony and I turned to see the red Skull come walking into the room, "think again, your precious captain has been by my side this hole time," the skull motioned for the man standing in the door way. When he got close enough I saw it was Steve.

I yelled out, "what did you do to him!"

"Captain Hydra came willingly," skull looked at Steve then said, "isn't that right Captain?"

"Yes red skull," Steve took his shield from his back then put it on his arm, "it is."

Red skull turned around, "kill the metal man and do whatever you wish with the Winter Soldier." Steve said, "yes sir," then the skull left. Once the doors shut Steve and the others came after us.

--- after fight ---

Tony managed to take out several of the villains before the fight even started. He stuck with the many an I with the few. I had to fight Steve all in my own. In the past we'd get into fights and I'd be the only one to win because of his small size. Now he was.

"Steve," I jumped out of the way of his shield, "you need to stop this."

"Stop what?! this is my true nature James. Come back and join HYDRA."

I said, "You know I can't do that."

Steve grabbed his shield, "Then this ends right where it all started 74 years ago."

"Steve what about all the men you served with. The men you saved, the commandos?" I took a deep breath then raised my voice, "what about peggy!?" I pulled the knifes from my belt then lunged at him. I got in a few good punches before Steve used his shield and nocking the knife out of my hand and me to the ground. I looked at Steve as he picked up the knife, "you really want to disgrace their memory by siding with the one man we fought so hard to get ride of!"

Steve stood over me then hit me with his shield. I was so tired of fighting that I just laid there and took, "I'm not going to fight you. Your my friend."

Steve knelt down by my side with knife in hand then said, "your my mission."

"then finish it," I looked Steve in the eye, "because I'm with you till the end of the line, pal."

---

Steve sat back. Bucky could see his mind racing and trying to gain control of his own actions. with tears in his eyes he looked at his friend, "take this," then handed him the shield, "it's your turn now my friend."

Ironman walked over and helped James up. Steve placed his shield into James's hands, "I'm sorry," tears fell from Steve's face.

Ironman was now supporting James. James said, "sorry for what? come with us. We can help you."

From behind them skull yelled out, "captain! finish them."

Steve slipped back into attack mode an said, "yes red skull," before lunging at ironman and the winter soldier. James placed the shield up and blocked Steve.

Ironman flew up still holding James and took off with Bucky holding on to both him and Steve's shield.

--- SHIELD MEDICAL BAY ---

Tony was staring into James room watching him sleep. He just walked out of the room after placing the shield on the chair next to his bed. Tony saw a young woman walk in then heard her say, "Your a nice guy after all stark." Tony didn't move, "what do you want Lily!?"

Lily walked up to the mirror and looked in at Bucky, "my brother and I were assigned to your team sir. Will be waiting in the hall till you are ready."

"Till I'm ready," tony gave a small smile.

Lily looked at Tony puzzled, "sir, I don't understand."

"There is one thing that will determine whether you live or die in a fight."

"What?"

Tony said, "Your heart."

"I still don't understand sir."

"Have you ever been in love? have you ever had to watch the one person you fell in love with in the arms of another person?"

"No sir."

"Well," tony looked at lily, "it's a bitch."

"What happened to the the one you loved?"

"He lies in a room fighting for his life and he still longs for a man that's lost."

"If you love him so much then I suggest you tell him."

James (Lily's brother) walked into the room and handed a mission file to tony, "fury just hand delivered this. He said the avengers are to find and capture Captain America."

Tony looked at James, "Agent walker will get on that tomorrow.Take the rest of the night off and be at the tower first thing," tony then looked at lily, "you too."

Lily said, "yes sir," then grabbed James and left. Once the two were gone tony looked in at Bucky then said, "just to see you smile if do anything. James I'm going to bring him back. I promise," tony placed his hand on the glass for a few minutes then left.