Battle Of Immortals

A/N This should be a fun and slightly gore-ish chapter. Well, I HOPE it's slightly gore but no promises! :P

X

Night came and most of the Royals were getting ready for bed.

As the Protector-Assassin of the kingdom, Benonic was one of the ones awake and out on night patrol with the other guards. He stood in one of the hallways, his eyes wondering around for anything suspicious.

Suddenly, a footstep was heard so he turned to the source of the sound. He took out his blade and kept it near him as he slowly advanced. A series of footsteps were heard and it made him grip his blade tighter as the stranger got closer and closer.

"WHO IS THERE?!" he spoke in a hoarse voice that made his lip bleed once it came in contact with his teeth.

At last, the light from the window illuminated the tan muzzle and the up-right, red-striped quills of Shadow. The ultimate life form chuckled as his ears flickered.

"And I thought Grand-Queen Athena said you couldn't talk," he commented as the other entered into the light so both could see each other clearly.

Benonic lowered his hand but didn't keep his blade as he used his free hand to talk. "[I can but it hurts me if I do.]"

"Tsk," Shadow rolled his eyes. "for an assassin, you're pretty weak,"

"[Be careful of your words, boy.]"

"Why? It's true, anyway,"

"[What are you even out here this late?]"

"I could ask the same to you," Shadow folded his arms.

Benonic scoffed. "[I'm the Protector-Assassin on this kingdom and I stay up to help the guards watch over the castle. What's your excuse?]"

"I'm the Ultimate Life-form. I don't need to eat, drink or sleep."

"[But you just ate dinner.]"

"You want me to be rude when Grand-Queen Athena let us eat with them?" Shadow raised an eye brow. "And anyway, I gave most of my food to So—Maurice. Yeah, I gave my food to him cause I knew he's the hungry guy out of all of us,"

Of course, this correction didn't go unnoticed by Benonic, whose ears flickered as he glared at the other.

Shadow, on the other hand, knew he had been noticed by the Protector-Assassin for too long so he turned and made his way to the window.

"[And where are you heading off to?]" Benonic signed as he watched the younger hedgehog leave.

"Out on the roofs," Shadow replied, placing his hands by the sides of the window and one of his feet by the wall. "It's better to get a bird's eye view of the palace and the kingdom so it's easier to protect, unlike staying in here. It feels like you're protecting yourself just as much as the others. From above, I'll be able to see anyone who would try to enter the kingdom and I would able to know the reason why. That is all, goodnight."

With that, he slipped out of the window and headed to the tallest tower. He went on it's roof and looked down at the view.

He was right. He could see the whole kingdom from up there. It was a perfect place to watch and rest...

X

The next day, the sun shone bright in the morning as everyone began to get up to start the day.

The Royals of Cosium were gathered in the dining hall, having breakfast. Trails, Sonic and Silver were with them but kept silent as the Royal Family ate, chatted and laughed about the stories Mortesen, Rakar and Negolas got when they were traveling. As they did, Athena suddenly noticed that there was someone missing at the table.