Chapter 7

"I'mma need all hands on deck!" Ruby yells at his family when I walk in. Last night, he didn't stop texting me until it was two in the morning. I walk over to the kitchen and greet abuelita and my tía. I make my way to the living room to greet my tío when my leg bumps into a body.

Cesar uncovers himself. 'Sorry' I mouth to him. He gives me a small smile. He gets up and makes his way to the bathroom, bumping into Mario later Amber. Guilt runs through my body. Oscar and I have been hanging out for the passed couple of weeks. Each time, I always forget to mention Cesar. I get too caught up in the moment, and low-key freak out because we're actually hanging out. All the anger and resentment that I felt slowly faded. I gradually understood why he pushed me away. Now I'm glad to say we're friends.

"This is why we should do a cake y ya." My tía mumbles. Ruby is a mad man. He's yelling at everyone and walking around with a clipboard. Does he look adorable? Yes, but that's besides the point because there's no reason for him to be this demanding at seven in the morning on a Saturday.

"Esperanza you are twelve minutes late." Ruby yells at me.

"Yeah, but because your rude ass sent me on a last minute coffee run."

"Well you should have left earlier, so you wouldn't have been late." he replies. I roll my eyes.

"Tía when his progress report comes in and you see an "F' from me it's because of today."

"I would fail him too mi'ja" She laughs. I pour myself some of the coffee I brought for us. My phones rings, it's Oscar. My heart skips a couple of beats. I walk to backyard.

"Bueno." I answer.

"Hey Mora, what are you doing tomorrow?" He asks.

"It's Mario's and Amber's baby shower. I'd say come over later, but Cesar's here. And um yeah." I tell him. I lean on the wall.

"Oh yeah, no worries. How's he doing?" He asks. That's the first time he's asked about him. Did he hear what happened at Dwayne's?

"He's good for the most part. It's a lot for him to grasp, but at least he's safe here."

"Safe?" Shoot, did he not know that Cesar got rolled up on? Quick think of something, mensa. I tell myself.

"Uh, well I meant that he-he's, you know, homeless. Now he has a somewhat stable roof over his head after what happened between y'all. You know him, getting kicked out of the Santos and stuff." I try correcting myself. I sound so fucking awkward.

"Right, text me or whatever if you're free later." He says. His voice is way too calm.

"Yeah, I'll try to get leave, but who knows with Ruby. I'll call you if I can "

"Ándale pues, I have some stuff to do. I'll see you around Mora." He hangs up. I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding.

Was he upset? I mean he didn't sound upset, but when he's really calm, that's when he's mad as fuck. He's probably high, but who smokes at this hour? My mind starts over thinking the one minute phone call. A loud crashing sound startles me. I jump.

"Ay mi'ja no te vi." Mi tía settles on the stairs. She sets a brown paper bag next to her.

"Tía you good?" I ask.

"Yeah, it's just Ruby can get out of hand sometimes. He really wants us to use beige as the color theme. Who raised him?" she takes a long gulp of her drink.

I was going to say something, but I stayed quiet. I just lean in and gave her a side hug.

♱♱♱