- chapter one

1

[ a mundane ]

Five years later, 1878

SHE WATCHED, SILENTLY AND LURKING in the shadows of the damp and crooked street, observing the scene in front of her. A Shax demon and a boy with tangled black hair and eyes like blue glass, the shadows highlighting his elegant cheekbones, breathy pants leaving his full mouth as he fought the demon with a dagger.

As the tension rose, the girl knew it was only a matter of seconds before the boy kills the creature, she didn't want to miss the chance of annoying him. Nocking an arrow on her bow, she waited, and as she got a clear target the boy plunged forward the same time she fired.

The arrow whistled next to the boy's ear, if he hadn't skulked aside he would've been impaled by it. The demon exploded in a shower of ichor and guts, dispatched back to whatever hellish world it had come from, though not without leaving a mess behind.

"Did you really have to do that, Rosela?" the boy snapped turning his gaze where the arrow came from, crossing his arms on his chest, he narrowed his eyes at her. "I would've killed it in one blow." he added

"And hear you boast of your non-exsistent hunting skills?" she sneered, her bow and quiver disappeared turning back into a ring as she added, "besides it seemed to me you were struggling back there, Will."

"Jem!" Will called, turning around as he ignored Rosela's remark. "Where are you?" But there was no answer to Will's shout: his hunting partner had been standing behind him a few moments before, guarding his back, Will was positive. He frowned in annoyance as Rosela stared at him with her brow raised in question.

"What are you doing here anyway?" he asked rudely, as he waited for her answer, he glanced back behind him to where the street narrowed into a passage that gave onto the black, heaving water of the Thames in the distance.

When Will hadn't receive any response he looked back at her, furrowed his brows before wiggling them playfully at her. "You were stalking me, weren't you? Am I really that attractive to look at?"

Rosela rolled her eyes, "Oh yes, Liam! You were so beautiful to gaze upon that I had to seek you out here."

Will chuckled, anyone wouldn't miss the amusement glinting in his blue eyes.

"Where's Jem?" she pulled her hair up in a tight ponytail, seeing her face clearly now that her hair is away, Will noticed how her features looked more prominent under the moonlight, how her jaw highlighted in the shadows and how her brown eyes darken at night. Will would be lying if he said he didn't find the girl attractive. But William Herondale would never admit such a thing.