- chapter eleven

10

[ the meeting ]

THE VALOIS GIRL SMILED innocently

THE VALOIS GIRL SMILED innocently. Will took a swift glance behind his shoulder and whistled at Rosela. "You've got me wishing that I was there when it happened, Ro," Will muttered, "I would have relished over the look on his face as he fell." 

"Why would Gabriel Lightwood hate you, Will?" Tessa asked as they went. "What did you do to him?"

"It wasn't anything I did to him," Will said, stalking along at a rapid pace. "It was something I did to his sister." 

Rose imagined Tessa looking sideways at Jem. "Where there's our Will, there's a half-dozen angry girls claiming he's compromised their virtue." 

Rosela shook her head in displeasure, she thought of the girls Will had been with, nothing serious happened between any of the girls he fancied being with, it was only ever hook-ups or merely just plain amusement to past his precious time. The Valois girl had given up a long time ago trying to understand the complexity that is of Will Herondale's demeanor.

But deep down she hadn't really given up, there was something about the Herondale boy that kept pulling her into knowing and observing him. It was like as if she were the waves and Will was the shore, she kept trying to reach him but with every attempt the latter insists on pushing her away. 

"Did you?" Tessa asked Will, the Valois girl felt Tessa hurrying to keep up with them. Rosela assumed the Gray girl wasn't used to wearing such dresses. "Compromise her virtue, I mean." 

"You have a lot of questions," Will said, veering sharply to the left and up a set of narrow stairs. "Don't you?" 

"I do," Tessa said, the heels of her boots clicking loudly on the stone steps synchronizing with Rosela's as she followed Will upward. "What's parabatai? And what did you mean about Gabriel's father being a disgrace to Shadowhunters?"

"Exactly where are you taking us, William?" Rosela asked rather impatiently,  Will gave no more than a motion to her, ushering her to keep quiet which caused her to huff in annoyance.

"Parabatai in Greek is just a term for a soldier paired with a chariot driver," said Jem, "but when Nephilim say it, we mean a matched team of warriors—two men who swear to protect each other and guard each other's backs." 

"Men?" said Tessa, she glanced at Rose, "Do you have one too? A parabatai?" 

"Unfortunately, no." Rosela said, a hint of sadness in her tone. "Not all Shadowhunters have one, it is why it's considered a blessing if you've even found someone worthy of being your parabatai." The Valois girl had always marveled at the thought of having a parabatai, she had marveled about how they could draw on each other's strength during battle and how much powerful they could be duelling together.