I can't do this anymore... (Pt3)

A few more steps and she'll be gone for good. A few more steps and she'll have lost the only thing that still matters to her... besides the thrown of course, because how can she forget the crown she worked so hard for?

They see the Spellman mortuary in sight, hands intertwined and footsteps heavy on the damp earth beneath their feet. Their heads are lost somewhere between asking where they went wrong and why they can't keep their love thriving. Why did it have to go wrong? It could be so perfect...

Mary comes to a halt next to the graveyard, truly not wanting to continue their walk to the so much dreaded destination. She wants to turn around and run far away, far away from all the trouble and worries that kept her up all night, far away from the few people that Zelda cares more about than anything else, far away from the place where she'll have to say goodbye to the one person she cares more about than anything else... besides the thrown of course.

"Is something wrong?" Zelda asks, squeezing her hand reassuringly. She knows exactly what's wrong but asking just feels like the right thing to do. She feels it, too. The dread, the hurt, the sadness, the heartbreak at the thought of what is about to happen and the burning of hot and salty tears that would just love to come out.

But neither of them lets the sign of weakness show, both not being too keen on getting all vulnerable when all they want is to be happy; together. But as always happiness is only an illusion held upright by the sheer want of something to last.

"I just want to stay here for a few more seconds if that's alright with you," Lilith says and Zelda just nods her head, pulling the brunette closer. The ginger doesn't want to go either. Not if that means leaving Lilith behind. She holds onto her as if she's her lifeline. The only thing that will keep her going and at that moment she truly feels as if Lilith is exactly that.

"Just stay," Zelda says, feeling the first tear start its journey down her makeup covered cheek, ruining her perfect façade and weak attempt at hiding how much of a wreck she truly looks like.

"I can't-"

"The thrown... I know. I just had to try," Zelda explains and no bitterness is left. Just sorrow. She understands Lilith more than anyone else could. She herself put power above family and those she loves once and she considers it to be the biggest mistake of her life but everyone has to make their own mistakes and she won't dare stop the brunette from finding out where her mistake lays.

"Lord, I'll miss you so much," Lilith breathes into the mass of ginger curls and closes her eyes, trying to steady her breathing before she can completely lose herself. She doesn't want to cry but at the same time crying feels like the only acceptable thing to do and her body screams at her to release the wails of sadness that are pushing so hard against her thick walls of insecurities and guardedness.

"I'll miss you more," Zelda says and tries not to let the sorrow get the better of her. The line is so cheesy and Zelda Spellman is anything but cheesy on any normal day but Lilith makes her discover new sides of herself, she never thought of as existing.

There is so much to look forward to and yet it feels like the best things are already over, already in her past, buried with the faint image of her thriving times with Lilith.

"You'll have to visit me from time to time," Zelda mutters and feels Lilith nod into her neck, probably not trusting herself to speak. Neither of them trust their voice to not crack and the tight embrace they're locked in truly is the only thing that keeps them going.

"Do you think we can keep this... thing going?" Zelda just needs to know if whatever they have will still be there when she'll see Lilith for the next time. She can't stay in the unknown, always worrying about what might be and what might have been.