five - counting game

song - Glitter In The Air by Pink

~"Have you ever wished for an endless night?
Lassoed the moon and the stars and pulled that rope tight
Have you ever held your breath and asked yourself
Will it ever get better than tonight?"~

There was something in his voice, something that made all of the darkness fade away. For so many years she had been locked in a small room, unable to see the sky for so many years as if the shadows was where she belonged. She had fought her way through it all, desperate to see the light on the other side of the door, believing that there must have been a better world out there than the world she was introduced to. She discovered new blinding colors, the sky sparkling like diamonds at night when the stars filled the darkness, so many new sensations coursing through her small body that had almost given up hope. But nothing made her feel more light than his voice, the smooth baritone sending delightful vibrations down her spine as if he had a direct route to her nerve endings. It set her on edge, her heart speeding up with panic as he spoke, scared that he would look in her eyes and know everything that she felt. At the same time it calmed her, a peaceful sound that she could happily fall asleep to, knowing that he would never let anyone hurt her ever again. She wanted to wrap herself in his arms for good, to hear his voice in her ear while he convinced her that he could chase away the darkness forever. But more than anything, it gave her hope.  

When she heard his voice next, it was filled with uncertainty and it made her hold her breath. She was walking down the hallway when she heard them talking inside of the AV room, somewhere that she would peek around the corner of when they discussed their campaigns. She didn't understand their conversations, but part of her just needed to listen to his voice when it felt like everything was crumbling around her. Sometimes she just needed his voice to guide her out of the darkness. 

"I told you, it was nothing. It's none of your business!" Mike argued, crossing his arms over his chest while Jane peeked around the corner with wide eyes. 

His friend Lucas carried on in a calculating tone. "Mike, don't treat us like we are stupid. If you like her then just talk to her, we are your friends. We know you better than anyone, we know when you are lying."

"Yeah, he's right! I know she is a little weird-"

Lucas interrupted Dustin. "Really weird."

Mike heaved a heavy sigh. "Guys, stop making this a big deal. I-I just wanted to work out what was wrong with her, she keeps running away from me whenever I try to speak to her. But stop blowing it out of proportion, I-I don't even know her!"

"That means she likes you" Dustin explained and Jane froze, gasping slightly. The others gave him exasperated sighs and he held his hands up innocently. "Hey, it's true! I read it in one of your sister's girly magazines, those things are genius!"

"What were you doing in my sister's room?" Mike sounded horrified. 

Jane smiled to herself, leaning her head against the door as she listened to his voice. It was filled with so much expression, soft and careful, and sharp and teasing the next minute. She could listen to it for the rest of her life, wishing that she would only be able to reply to him one day. She wanted to speak to him for real, to discuss his hopes and dreams, to convince him that he was worth so much more than he believed, than his own family believed. She wanted to pick him up when it felt like he was falling down a dark hole with nobody there to save him. She wanted to convince him that perhaps they could be alone together, chasing away both of their demons with the light within their hearts. She shook off her idiotic thoughts with a sad sigh, continuing to listen to their debate. 

"Seriously guys..." Mike sighed loudly, "I think she hates me. She barley looks at me when I talk to her and she seems like she can't way to run away from me..."