twenty five - brightest star

song - I Don't Know How To Tell You This by Faith Ling

~"oh the way you grin makes my heart stop dead
and your kind, warm words drain all judgement from my head
oh my sanity's placed secondary
cause somehow your spot is now primary"~

It took a long for scientists to stop fearing black holes. Although nothing but an astronomical rarity, the gravitational field would be strong enough to hold anything captive with no source of escape. Perhaps the reason that they were so afraid, were the billions of possibilities that came alongside something that they knew nothing about - the unknown. But the nearest black hole to planet Earth was at least ten thousand light years away, something that often brought a sense of comfort to the scared scientists. They knew that they could never control or fully understand the phenomenon of a black hole - but at least it was somewhere far, far away. A certain kind of peace came with that knowledge, sighs of relief escaping their hearts when they realized that the danger was far away, not lurking anywhere nearby. 

It was something that Jane could never understand. She could try her best to trick herself into believing that she was safe, convinced that the threat was too far away to truly hurt her ever again. But that is all she would be doing - tricking herself. When in reality she was kept awake for many years, trying to distract herself with interesting and beautiful facts about the universe that Mike had taught her.

El, did you know that there are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on all of the beaches on Earth? Isn't that crazy? That is at least a billion...trillion!

The moon itself is covered in dead volcanoes...it is not actually made out of cheese like they tell you in stupid children books, although that would be pretty awesome, wouldn't it? Wouldn't that be awesome, El? What type of cheese do you think it would be?

But even replaying his soft voice on a loop within her mind didn't help, it was never strong enough to drown out the laughter within her head. The laughter that she couldn't stop hearing, his dark chuckle of - I'm coming for you, Eleven. When she covered her head with a pillow, it was still there like a beating drum, standing out in the silence of her mind - I'll always find you, Eleven...I'll never give up on you. Knowing that the threat was far away from her meant nothing, because it meant that it was still out there somewhere - he was still out there. But lying down on her bed now in her peaceful bedroom, feeling the gentle breeze caress her cheeks, it still felt like she was waiting for something to go wrong. The man that she once called her father was gone, the threat written out of her fairy-tale for good, but it didn't mean that the memories could just escape her clouded mind. The memories of him leaning over her with a cruel smirk were replaced, new and even more terrifying ones taking their place. Instead she could simply picture his eyes rolling to the back of his head, veins popping out of his pale neck that turned almost purple under the strong invisible grip that she held over him. Instead she could simply remember the moment that she lost control, her hands ending his life - draining the light that was flashing bright within his cold eyes. It seemed that he would always be a part of her, still causing her pain even though he was gone for good. 

"El?" a gentle knock came.

She squeezed her eyes shut, curling up tighter on her soft blanket as if would shield her. Her body was weak and shaking, not holding enough strength to open the door for him, her heart too heavy to let in his sugar sweet words. 

Mike sighed, voice turning softer. "El, please let me in...just for a moment."

Jane's hands curled into fists. 

"Please."

The motion of her head lifting was enough to make her tired, bones feeling weak and stiff from staying in bed for days. But every time she looked out of her window at the pretty sky, all she could think about was the darkness that had tainted her world. With a sharp movement, she flicked her head slightly and waited for the tell-tale sound of the door unlocking before her head fell back down weakly to her soft blanket.