Chapter 1

I'm a ribbons and lace kind of girl. Well, at least I would be... in an alternate reality where my very purpose in life wasn't to hunt down and kill the demons plaguing our world. But alas, here we are, and blood and guts are my unfortunate accessories most days. At least I look good doing it. Tonight, I am sporting the darkest crimson of a Kavrock demon or more specifically a small horde of them. The leeches had put up minimal fight when I descended into their den with the rest of the Order. They are small, around three feet long, but are deadly creatures with their wicked sharp teeth and extra claws. A total of sixteen to be exact running down both sides of their low, rotund underbellies.

Their life goals include sucking the life force out of any creature it could find and hiding out in dank, dark holes. They had become a nuisance in the farming plains, killing livestock and pets indiscriminately. This nest had wiped out several dozen flocks before we had been called to intervene.

The moans and groans of my comrades around me indicate that they too are covered in filth and ready to shed it. Luckily, we have all grown accustomed to being near naked around each other since we share a unisex locker room, for lack of a better term. Articles of clothing are hitting the floor all around me. I am almost down to my sports bra and undershorts when a booming voice fills the room.

"Nice work brats." I smile at Emeree. She has been training us for years. This was her go-to term of endearment for us. "Alpha, debrief in ten." I nod in ascent of the command. Even if I was the Alpha of the Order, Emeree was still my teacher. I would always follow her commands.

"I will make it a fast shower." I call heading to an open stall in the adjoining room. I had just gotten most of the blood and goo off when powerful arms encircle my stomach and a pair of lips land on the side of my neck. I whirl to face him with a smirk. "I have a debrief in ten." His lips curl into a mock pout. "I'll make it up to you later." I reply silkily running my hands down his chiseled chest. Rowan might as well have been named by God himself since his body did indeed stand like a mighty tree.

"You better." He replies after a quick peck on the lips.

I saunter out of the shower room wrapped in a towel, squeezing the excess water out of my long hair. "You coming?" I call over my shoulder.

"Be right there." His reply traveled through the water cascading over him. Though there was technically no Beta to my Alpha. Ro and I had long been partners in all things. I have always tried to keep my role as Alpha from becoming a point of contention between us. To me, he was my equal. No matter what magical happenstance said.

Eleven minutes later we stand side by side in the Guard's center of operations. Five high ranking Guards sit at a long table before us. My damp hair knotted in a bun on top of my head, I recount tonight's events. "It certainly was...messier than anticipated. Once we got into the nest there were nearly six dozen." A half dozen somber looking faces nod from behind the semi-circle table. "We killed all the ones in house. I ordered Briar and Bishop to stay behind for the night to see if any more straggle in."

"As always, we are grateful for the protection of the Order and your leadership as Alpha, Ariana. We will pass along the debrief to the King and to Braddock." Renner's words seem like a dismissal, so I turn on my heel just as a different voice speaks up.

"It's so goodto have you back in the field Ariana." I gave a curt nod to the petite woman, whose name I cannot remember, before continuing my exit with Ro at my side.

Once we were safely out of earshot I say, "I've been back three months. How much longer are they going to remind me?" I try to keep my pace with Ro who does not acknowledge for a few seconds.

"It doesn't feel like it's been three months, Ari. You were gone longer than you've been back." He gives me a side glance and I nod silently letting my retort die on my lips, another thing I would hold back to keep the peace.