Chapter 5

My revelation hangs in the air for what seems like an eternity. Luca breaks the reverie by moving forward. He gingerly touches the words and then brings his fingertips to his nose. "She burned this into the wall."

"Old witch was a flamethrower?" I couldn't tell If Briar sounded impressed or pissed off.

I step forward gingerly with an outstretched hand calling on Medoza's Sight. After a moment, I yank my hand back. I could feel the flames on my skin. "He's right. She burned this into the wall. This is also what started the fire."

"Beast." Now Briar sounded impressed.

"Did you see anything else?" Rowan asks stepping up beside me.

"Just bits and pieces. It was so chaotic. I couldn't really latch onto one image before another swept it away, but I don't think there were any survivors. I think the people were trapped in here."

"A building full of witches and no one could find a way out?" Luca comments in disbelief.

"Which means someone was holding them in." Cass speaks aloud the same conclusion I came to.

"Mendoza, I need you to start on the far eastern side and see if you can pick up anything else. I'm going to start on the western side and do the same." He gives a curt and moves to oblige. "Ro, go with him please." He nods and exits. "Briar, nobody knows fire like you so start looking for other oddities from this one. Luca, Mae, and Cass, I need you to take the outside perimeter and see if you can pick up on anything regarding how these people became trapped. Luca, please shift and follow whatever trails you might come across." Those three head off with their Orders as well and I turn to Bishop.

"I'm with you, Alpha."

"Thank you, Bishop."

The visions flowed in frazzled, chaotic messes. By the time I covered my half of the warehouse, my head was pounding, and I didn't understand pretty much anything I had seen. The sun was rising when we made our way back to our vehicles to head back to base and the dorms. I'm not sure Ro and I even spoke before shedding our gear and crawling into bed in our underwear. I know I was asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

I dreamt I was standing in the middle of a burning room. The flames encircling me, but not quite touching. At first all I could hear was the roar of the flames and the pounding of my own heart, but then I heard her cry like it was the only sound in the world. That's when I saw the crib in the corner. The flames were slowly creeping from me toward the crib. I couldn't see her, but I knew by the cry that it was Lyra inside. That's when I started screaming. Strong hands shaking my shoulders drag me out of the nightmare. Rowan stands over me dripping wet with a towel wrapped around his waist. I sit up gasping for air.

"Ari, it's okay. It's just a dream." He sits on the edge of the bed and wraps his arms around me. I let my head rest in the crook of his neck trying to catch my breath. Once I did, I lay back into the pillows. Ro stands up, giving me a quick kiss before heading back to the bathroom. "I can't even remember the last time you had a nightmare."

"I know. The Oracle just creeped me out I guess." I lay in bed for a few more moments before jumping up and pulling my clothes back on. I stopped by the bathroom doorway on my way out. "I need to go to the cottage for a bit. I'll see at the debrief later." I barely wait for his nod before running out. I didn't stop running until I was in the nursery. Mom is holding her in the rocker when I enter out of breath. A million thoughts pass between us in the silence. She wordlessly stands up and hands me Lyra before leaving the room. I sink into the rocker and cradle the precious sleeping bundle as close as I can without suffocating her. With every inhale of her sweet scent, my muscles and aches begin to loosen. I hold her for quite some time before placing her in the crib and heading off to my adjoining room to shower. I scrub my body raw before wrapping myself in a towel and heading back into my bedroom. Mom is sitting on the bed when I enter. I begin rummaging through the drawers for clothes and she waits patiently for me to find the words.