Chapter 11

I float through training the next day. I mentally note that Rowan is all too eager to take charge. I feel off and it shows. When he suggests I go home and lay down, I don't argue. I however didn't go home. I go by Braddock's office to talk to him about the Tobin incident. He is out of the office. I left his secretary strict instructions, dare I say Orders, to have him call me when he returns.

I walk the perimeter of the King's property to avoid questioning stares before making my way to the Unbinding Circle. I sat down on the cool stone slab table and close my eyes trying to quiet my mind while praying for guidance. I feel him approach before I hear his feet crunch the parched ground.

"You found me."

"Maristen insisted you needed me right away. I called your mother and had her Seek you." Blood relatives, especially parents can magically identify the location of a loved one. It's similar to scrying, but more precise. The degree of success dependent upon how powerful the witch. My mother could find me in the Marianas Trench. If you're wondering how an Adorian girl who has never seen or stepped foot in the human world knows about the Marianas Trench, yes, I am educated in the geography of the human world. It is one of those useless classes you take to pass and then promptly forget. But the deepest point known to humankind? The true depth unknown? Seems a bit magical, wouldn't you say? So yes, I remember it.

"I need to-" His hand settles on top of mine and he sits next to me. Once I stop midsentence to look at him, he swivels his head to look around us. When his eyes find their way back to mine, he speaks.

"Before you speak anything into the wind," He looks out into the distance in reminder to Guard my words and I follow suit.

"I'm seeing things differently."

"I'm not surprised. Your mother took quite some liberties with your Unbinding Ceremony. Truth, lies, the veil between..."

"Tobin's death-"

"Was an accident. Cardiac arrest brought on by heavy drug use."

"But that's not all. That's not the whole truth."

"Ariana, we're witches. We can hide, resell, twist, and spell the truth."

"It was dark, Braddock. Smothering. I've never felt anything like it."

"Your unique Unbinding has opened you to things you won't believe. I can't help but think..."

"What Braddock?"

"Never mind."

"What happened in that room with Tobin..." I can't even bring myself to finish.

"Do something else with your truth, Ariana. The truth doesn't always need to be told. Sometimes it's enough to know it." He steps down and begins walking away.

"Braddock, the truth. What were you going to say?" I stand too, staring at his now stationary back.

"I can't help but think your mother cursed you. Sometimes the truth needs a filter or a softer lens. People have been known to break under less." He leaves me alone then. I weigh his words and my swirling emotions. I feel myself settle onto the ground before the thought had even formed to sit. I try to push my thoughts aside and clear my mind. I had lived my entire life until a few nights ago only seeing what others wanted me to see. Only hearing what they chose to say. Could I be happy living in the dark? Head buried in the sand so to speak?

I try to consider Braddock's words seriously even just for a moment, but my heart's desire beat inside my chest like a drum. Let truth be my guiding light, from it I will never hide. The words, a whisper of a prayer, settle in my core like a promise. I know I cannot turn my back on the truth. I will find a way to navigate the world with my newfound sight. I also know where I need to start.