Chapter 6

I stretch out on the smooth stone soaking in the bright sunshine for all its Vitamin D worth. The sound of the water lapping against the stone nearly lulling me to sleep. "Please tell me we're going skinny dipping." I open my eyes and push up my sunglasses to find an ever-smirking Briar standing over me. I prop myself up on my elbows to watch the rest of the Order make their way down the hill side to my oasis. I lay next to a beautiful, crystal clear pond at the foot of a pristine waterfall. It's quite a trek off the beaten path so very few come here.

"Have a seat, friends." I say sitting up cross legged. Ro bends to kiss me before sitting down beside me, casually leaning back on his elbows and playing with my long hair. "I'm sure you're all wondering why I asked you to meet here this morning."

"I'm surprised we aren't on assignment after last night's Council meeting." Bishop says as he fidgets with some grass from his crouched position.

"As far as anyone else knows, I recalled you for special field training. The truth is we need to talk and I'm not quite sure who outside this circle we can trust." A few of my comrades look startled by my admission. "The waterfall provides great coverage, even magical listening devices would be useless for eavesdropping."

"You're worried about people eavesdropping?" Luca's eyebrows crinkle under this assessment.

"Yes. Some things were already..." I let that thought drop, not wanting to pull them into my battle of personal insecurities. "Some pieces fell into place last night. Other things were left out that should not have been." I look around to make sure I have their attention before I dive in.

"The rave. We were sent there to observe drug trade. There was not one peep, which might not be odd if it wasn't a freaking rave in the middle of the woods with a bunch of horny, drunk teenagers. No Q. Okay. Not necessarily suspicious. But nothing? No H? No T balls? Absolutely no illicit drugs of any kind? Come on. Either the coven kids have suddenly gone G rated since we graduated, or they knew we were coming. That Order came directly from the Council. Braddock didn't even know beforehand. No one in the Guard was supposed to. And then the next day a previously unknown black-market location is discovered only because it was burned to the ground. And whoever did it made sure no one got out. Do you understand what I'm telling you? No witnesses. No evidence. The little girl that died. Her mom was an addict. Her drug of choice? Q. She dragged her daughter to that death trap to get a fix. A fix of a drug that should be near impossible to manufacture due to the rare ingredients and extensive knowledge of Alchemy involved. The warehouse, in the middle of the city, should never have gone undetected by Guard patrols. Dozens of people coming and going from a supposed abandoned warehouse blocks from the Capital building and no one notices? Hell no. I'm not buying it." I have riveted my audience with my impassioned deductions.

"Coda made a snide comment about your wardrobe choice for the rave. How the hell does he know what you wore?" Luca brings a deduction of his own.

"That prick is still pissed you turned him down. You're probably the only girl to ever tell him no." Briar says with self-satisfaction. He hates Coda. He shares a look with Ro.

"That's true." Cass adds with a sigh. I'm sure she's remembering a certain night of high school partying that led to her own Coda experience.

"There's more." I give them a second to refocus. "My original reports regarding the warehouse fire listed in detail our experience with Madame Efrain. When I got the meeting agenda, it wasn't listed in the briefing. When I asked Emree if there was a mistake, she told me all that needed to be discussed was in the agenda. After the Council meeting, I went to look for the original briefing and report. They've been redacted to exclude the Oracle and her prophecy. And when I went to get my field journal with my handwritten notes. The pages had been torn out."