Chapter 7

I sincerely hope my expression is as blank as my mind at the moment. After an awkward amount of uncomfortable silence, she gives a hearty laugh and steps forward to pat my arm. Both Luca and Ro are instantly at my side ready to wipe the floor with her if need be. I am still in quite a trance but manage to get my lips moving. "I am not Queen yet. For several more years actually. I am Alpha."

"For now. Soon more." I am reminded of the Oracle's vague speech in her sister. I wonder if she too has the gift of prophecy but dismiss the idea as no one has mentioned it.

"Are you Elodie? Sister of Madame Efrain the Oracle?"

Her eyes mist over with a wealth of sorrow. "I was... always will be I suppose, though my sister is passed on. But I suspect you know that."

"We are here to pass that unfortunate news to you, ma'am." Luca says with sympathy.

"I knew of my sister's passing the moment it happened. We were twins after all." She appears lost in her thoughts for a moment and then turns back to me. "But that is not why you're here." Another lengthening silence before she laughs. We are all taken back by this reaction and I begin to wonder if the stories of her madness are true. "Answers you seek. Some to questions you've yet to utter." Again with the riddles. "Come in children. It has been many years since I've seen you last." She turns to go back into the farmhouse, gesturing for us to join her. We do hesitantly. We take in our surroundings warily, but all there is to be seen is a worn, well-loved farm house. We follow Elodie further into the house into a rather large room devoid of furniture save a couple of tables pushed against the walls. There is a circle of candles lit in the middle of the room.

"I told you they'd come." A deep male voice with an odd accent greets us before we see him enter the room from the other side. "No matter the path I always saw her lead them to us." He points at me. I feel Rowan and Luca stiffen on my right and left, bodies taut and ready to address any threat. My eyes had already cut to the right to glance at Ro which is why I saw her first and spun to react. I freeze the flying object before I even see what it is.

"Eathner!" Elodie bellows in amused irritation. The little girl in the doorway is barely six by my estimation. The object she'd thrown is a crystal ball. The room seems to hold its collective breath waiting for my reaction or assessment. I throw out a hand once and then again in rapid succession to blow the glass orb apart and then to freeze the pieces in midair. The young girl twirls under the frozen glass. I turn to walk toward the glass bringing my hands together until they are clasped forcing the pieces back together. The shards reshape themselves into the glass orb. I release the reconstructed orb from my power's hold and it falls into the little girl's waiting hands. She giggles cheerily.

"I didn't know you had the power to put back together like me!" She exclaims.

"I don't, little one." I lower myself to be eye level with her and lower my voice to a mock whisper. "I borrowed yours." I bring my index finger to my lips with a gentle, "Shhh." I give her a wink and smile before I turn back to Elodie.

"You know we're here for answers and unfortunately we don't have a lot of time. Let's get started."

Sometime later the seven members of the Order are seated in a circle inside the perimeter of candles.

"I still don't understand why you can't just tell us some stories. Answer some questions maybe." Briar says, clearing his throat and shifting uncomfortably.

"We discussed this. I could tell you many things, but some part of you will only believe if you see. Plus, the Truth Quest could lead you to truths even I don't know." Elodie eyes me when she mentions this and continues her slow walk around the circle.