Chapter 7

Elizabythe's POV

When I awoke from my long, well-rested sleep, a bright sunlight had shined through my left window and lingered there until I woke up fully. I must have had too much painkiller...I feel so tired....Damn poppy flowers.

I looked to my right and saw a nice cup of tea with a pot next to it. There was also a bowl with some apples and berries as well. After drinking about 3 cups, I felt myself feeling more alert and more rejuvenated. Then I heard some footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Rise and shine, Elizabythe..." Cassidy said gently. "I see you liked the tea I made you?"

"Oh, yes, it was very good." I yawned. "Thanks for the fruit, too. I'll be eating it shortly. How's your morning?"

Cassidy laughed a bit at my comment. "It's already noon, sweetie. It's not morning anymore."

Suddenly, as she was telling me this, I heard what sounded like light footsteps coming from the stairs. The timing between some steps was delayed once they got to the hallway. They sounded almost hesitant.

"She just woke up, dear." Cassidy said. "You can come see her now."

"W-what's going on?" I asked her.

"You've got a visitor today." Cassidy said. "He's been waiting for a while now, thought you'd be awake sooner."

"Thank you, Cassidy."

"Just come downstairs once you're ready, honey."

As she walked away and retreated downstairs, the other footsteps stopped briefly and continued walking until I saw his frame in the doorway. I felt myself panic slightly, my feelings clouded with uncertainty and disbelief.

"Elizabythe...."

I gasped silently. It's him...he came for me. "Shay....?"

He flashed a charming smile at me. "It's me, lass."

"But...but why are you here?"

"I came back for you...and you alone."

"You came...jus' to visit me in my sickbed?"

"Yes. I did."

I couldn't help but mutter in a whisper. "I don't believe it...."

"I apologize if my visit was somewhat unexpected and...unwelcome." Shay's voice sounded almost regretful and apologetic. "If you'd like for me to leave, just say the word and I'll go."

"No, no no. It's alright...you can stay for awhile if you want to."

Shay came over and sat on my right side of the bed. "I said that I would return to visit you again..."

"I honestly didn't think you would, Shay."

"Why did you think that, lass?"

"I saw how hard you were working on the Morrigan. I could tell you had some business to do that would take awhile. So, I didn't think that you would find time to come see me. I didn't think that I even mattered to you."

"Mister Finnegan said that you were suspicious of me...why?"

"Your coat has the same Templar cross my Father bore." I took a deep breath to keep from getting upset. "He was murdered by a fellow Templar he trusted with his life. And that misplace trust cost him his life and his ship. And I...I thought you...."

I was having trouble keeping my voice level and even-keel until I felt a warm hand rest on mine.

"Elizabythe, I'm here to listen to you and what ails you," Shay said, "...not to judge you."