Chapter 2

Chapter 2

February 2019

It just wasn't right. Something sounded off. But what exactly could it be? Quinn played the last three chords once more while looking at the sheet music. She switched one of the chords for a c-minor, but still wasn't satisfied with the way the passage sounded. Deep wrinkles were forming on her forehead as she stared at the piano keyboard until she punched it in frustration, filling the room with an unpleasant sound.

"That didn't sound too bad, though," a voice behind her back suddenly said.

Quinn turned her head and found her roommate Lola leaning against the door frame that separated the small music room from their living room.

"Not too bad, huh?," Quinn said sarcastically. "I need this to be perfect. Who knows if I'll ever get a chance like this again!", - Quinn cried out and plunged her head on the keyboard.

"Come on, Quinn, you still have more than one month to finish this," Lola tried to comfort her. She stepped into the room and placed her hand on Quinn's shoulder. The blonde groaned before she slowly detached her head from the piano.

Lola laughed when she noticed Quinn's messy hair standing all over the place. She had to admit that the fringed bob cut looked amazing on Quinn, even in a disastrous state like that. After all it had been her who had convinced the pretty blonde to change her style a little after college graduation.

Quinn finally turned around fully and looked up to Lola, who was in her chill-out-at-home clothes and had her dark hair up in a bun. She was happy to have her around, even though she often had to listen to her scolding. Otherwise she would've long gone crazy beyond repair. Lola had lived with her since their junior year of college. Back then, Quinn had decided to move out of the dorms, because her roommates had all been some kind of 'music geniuses' with according attitudes. They were annoying, self-centered and at times crazy as hell, even though Quinn had to admit that she would be just like them sometimes, too. But at least not all the damn time.

Lola had been one of the girls who replied to her announcement that she was looking for a roommate. The two had gotten along right away and were complimenting each other quite well. Lola was thoughtful and kind, not too chaotic in the house and the best thing was that she did not study any creative discipline but economics. So she never annoyed Quinn with rants about inspiration and all that stuff that she had to endure during the last years. Plus, she had learned cooking from her mother, who was Mexican, so Quinn was able to enjoy the most delicious quesadilla from time to time.

"Yeah you're right", Quinn admitted and sighed as she tried to straighten her hair.

"How about releasing some stress tonight?", Lola suggested. "It's a Friday night and we haven't been out for a while."

"That's what you always say. But partying and drinking cannot be the solution to everything," Quinn said only half-seriously, because going out on Friday nights was kind of their ritual, so both of them knew that they would eventually end up in one of the many bars in their neighborhood.

"I'll be ready by eight", Lola smirked and walked out of the room to watch some Netflix like she always did when she had a day off.

Quinn mustered the still incomplete sheet music she had to prepare for her next project, which was the biggest one she had worked on so far. She was composing the instrumental OST for an indie movie by a director who was quickly rising to stardom in the scene. This movie could become not only the director's but also Quinn's breakthrough in the movie and TV industry.

'I might've long reached this point if I had moved to California already,' Quinn thought to herself. But that would mean leaving New York. And leaving New York would mean leaving the city where she lived. Not that it would make any difference since she hadn't seen her in more than two years now.