Chapter 6

Chapter 6

May 2019

Quinn flinched when behind her, Santana's grand aunt Valentina started coughing which then turned into a coughing fit. However, the sound soon mixed with the chatters and laughter that was filling the garden.

The blonde was sat next to Mercedes who was sat next to Kurt and let her eyes wander over the rows of chairs. Luckily, the weather was warm and sunny, so that the garden wedding could take place as planned.

Quinn had been pleasantly surprised about the tasteful selections Santana and Brittany had made for the ceremony. A string ensemble played soft classical music while the guest arrived and were seated on white-painted wooden chairs, each decorated with a couple of flowers.

Quinn had been delighted to find out that Mercedes had been assigned to the seat next to hers and the women had chatted for a while until Kurt had come to join them. Quinn still wondered why he hadn't arrived together with Rachel, because as far as she knew he was still a close friend of hers.

The chair to her right was still vacant and Quinn had no idea who was supposed to sit there. Santana had refused to reveal the sitting order to her and instead only smirked her infamous evil grin.

'That stupid bitch,' Quinn thought while she couldn't suppress an affectionate smile. Santana really was her best frenemy.

She blended back into the ongoing conversation when Kurt addressed her directly. "By the way, your outfit is gorgeous," he said and gave her a thumbs up. "Also, I love the haircut. It suits your face just perfectly."

"Thank you," Quinn replied while she dug her fingers into her freshly cut hair, which was only barely touching her shoulders now. She tried to straighten it a little, but as usual, her hair didn't follow her wishes. As opposed to the other female guests, she had chosen not to wear a dress but an emerald green pant suit. She had matched the suit with a simple white shirt and natural makeup. Somehow, wearing pants always increased her confidence and that was exactly what she needed at the thought of meeting Rachel.

"So has anybody seen Rachel yet?" Mercedes asked them. Quinn noticed Kurt's sudden change in expression and wondered if something had happened between the two.

Both, Kurt and Quinn just shook their heads, neither of them wanting to delve deeper into the topic.

At 3:59 pm, one minute before the ceremony was about to start, Quinn noticed a sudden movement to her right. She looked up and her heart skipped a beat when her eyes met Rachel's chocolate brown eyes.

"I guess this is where I'm supposed to sit," Rachel said with a reluctant smile. She sat down next to Quinn, her short black mini dress leaving most of her tights exposed.

'Wait, I'm not supposed to notice this,' Quinn scolded herself. She made a mental note to yell at Santana later, because there was no way this was a coincidence.

Just as she was about to address Rachel, the volume of the music increased, announcing the arrival of the soon-to-be-married couple.

The guests' heads turned in unison towards the entrance of the garden. Santana was the first to appear under the arch of flowers which marked the start of the corridor between the chairs. She was led by Mr. Lopez, who looked very proud of his daughter. When Santana passed by Quinn and Rachel's seats, she briefly met the blonde's eyes and smirked for the fraction of a second. While the other guests were already tearing up and getting their tissues ready, Quinn was still fuming and thinking of various ways to get her revenge on Santana.