Chapter 21

"Why are you letting her go?!" Kurt shouted at a petrified Quinn while he rose his arms in frustration. "Why didn't you console her?"

Quinn swallowed as she tried to sort out her thoughts. Yeah, why didn't she? Why didn't she take that one step forward and hugged Rachel? Why didn't she tell her that everything was going to be okay? That not passing the audition wasn't a big deal?

Quinn looked at Kurt, meeting his eyes, which were looking back at her full of accusation. "I'm afraid of her reaction," she admitted. "That she's going to give it all up. The music, her dreams and our relationship. That she thinks I talked her into it."

"And you think not trying to talk to her and leaving her all by herself will prevent that?" Kurt asked sarcastically.

Quinn sighed and looked towards the end of the street where Rachel's silhouette was still visible. She looked so small next to the tall buildings.

"What if she blames me, Kurt? What if she hates me for sending her to this audition?"

Kurt kept silent and mustered her for a while until he eventually nodded. "She might be angry at you. She was angry at me when I tried to talk to her about it and we had quite a fight. But you're different Quinn. She loves you and she trusts you."

"What if she doesn't after this?" Quinn asked as she drove her hand inside her bag and started searching for the pack of cigarettes.

"Maybe you should talk to her to find out about it?" Kurt raised an eyebrow. "Quinn, I seriously don’t understand your problem. Why don't you go and talk to her? It's not like she is going to rip your head off the second she sees you."

Quinn didn't reply and instead pulled out the pack of cigarettes before she brought her hand to her pocket in order to retrieve her lighter.

"Fuck Quinn!" Kurt shouted, took a step forward and slapped the cigarettes out of her hand.

"What the-" Quinn protested, but Kurt cut her off. "What the fuck is wrong with you?! Go and talk to Rachel right now if you don't want to lose her! And stop smoking, that's not going to get you anywhere except your deathbed!"

Quinn stared at him in shock, unable to move or talk.

"Go! Now!" Kurt grabbed her shoulders, turned her around and pushed her lightly.

Finally, Quinn understood and she turned her head one last time. "Thank you," she said and Kurt nodded.

"Good luck."

XVXVX

'Why am I always chasing after Rachel?' Quinn thought while she sprinted towards the direction she had seen Rachel head towards.'And why is it always my fault?'

She thought she had seen Rachel turn left at the end of the street, but when she approached the spot, a group of people coming out of one of of the smaller theatres in the area slowed her down and when she finally had made her way through the crowd she couldn't see Rachel anywhere.

"Fuck!" she exclaimed in frustration not caring about the appalled looks a pair of old ladies walking by were giving her.

Why had she not approached Rachel? What was wrong with her? These questions were torpedoing her mind and her inability to come up with an explanation frustrated her even more.