Chapter 19, Part 1

"Rachel?" Quinn asked a couple of days later while she watched the brunette preparing the vanilla milkshake she had just ordered at the cafe.

"Yes?" Rachel replied, her eyes focused on pouring milk into a huge glass cup.

"How long has it been since you last sung?"

Rachel halted the procedure and placed the milk carton on the counter. She looked at Quinn and pondered over the question for a second.

"Uhm," she began, trying to win some time. Of course she remembered the time she had basically stopped singing altogether. It had happened when she auditioned for the off-Broadway show that guy had been directing. That damned guy who promised to bring her stardom and who had destroyed it all in just a second. The mere memory made her clench her teeth.

"Rachel?" Quinn asked again.

"Oh sorry," Rachel replied. Only now she realized she had spaced out right in front of her girlfriend.

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to," Quinn said and reached out to place her hand on Rachel's. "It's just that since we met again, I haven't heard you sing even once. And you know I really love to hear you sing."

"You do?" Rachel asked. "You never told me."

"Didn't you notice me swooning during Glee club whenever you were on stage?" Quinn laughed. "I even snuck into the auditorium from time to time just to listen to you practice."

Rachel smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. Thinking about Quinn listening to her singing reminded her of what she had lost. Her dream of becoming a star. Or becoming Rachel Berry as Quinn had expressed it.

"I haven't sung since last year," Rachel confessed and pulled back her hand from under Quinn’s. She grabbed the milk and guided it towards the glass, but didn’t pour any into it.

"Since last year?" Quinn said visibly surprised.

Rachel nodded and finally filled up the glass with the white liquid.

"Not even under the shower or in the car?"

"Nowhere," Rachel sighed as she opened the freezer and pulled out a container of vanilla ice cream.

She glanced at Quinn, who wore a concerned expression on her face. The blonde remained quiet for a while. It seemed as if she had to think about what to say or ask next. To Rachel, it wasn't big news, but she could imagine that this revelation must come as a shock for Quinn.

"What happened?" Quinn asked after Rachel had finished preparing her drink and placed it in front of her.

Rachel sighed and ran her fingers through her hair. "It's kind of a long story."

"Then tell me. I'm here to listen." Quinn reached out for Rachel's hand again and this time she didn't pull away.

"A new customer might come in any minute," Rachel remarked.

"I’ll wait until they’re gone," Quinn insisted.

"You're stubborn," Rachel teased.

"You are," Quinn retorted before she squeezed Rachel's hand and looked her in the eyes. "I just want to understand you. Please give me the chance to do so, will you?"