14: Living

What was the problem? The group was still stunned, the decisions were made but one thing was very, very wrong. Where the hell was their hostage? Randall and Shane were missing and Sam had a pretty good idea why. Glenn and Daryl had gone to look for him and Sam lay in wait with T-dog at the edge of the woods, ready to strike if they saw him. Rick was stood in a field far from the farm, facing off with Shane. Sam sighed, watching T-dog look around cautiously.

"What do you think about all this?" 

"What do you mean?" Sam asked, hands behind his head as they waited. It seemed that everything was too calm.

"About Shane I mean? You two seem to have it out for each other"

"It's nothing" Sam sighed, watching Shane fall down in the field. No one else saw and he smiled to himself. Rick finally had the balls to do it and that asshole was dead. Carl appeared, surprised to see Shane dead and Rick crying because of what he'd done and Sam gasped as he saw Shane rise. A single shot sounded and Carl had his gun raised, this symbolized the end of his innocence. Sam and T-dog made their way to the house just as Glenn and Daryl returned.

"What of Randall?"

"Dead, a walker, his neck was snapped though, makes no sense" Glenn replied as an eerie silence settled over the farm. Sam slung his bag over his back as he prepared to return to Daryl's camp where he had been sleeping on an old mattress outside his tent but he paused when he saw the massive horde of walkers and Rick and Carl disappeared into the Barn to hide. 

"uhh Guys, we have a little walker problem" He laughed nervously as Daryl rushed to the window.

"Oh shit, you ain't kiddin'" He chuckled at Sam's comment, formulating a plan as the rest of the group panicked, Lori worrying about Carl. Daryl relayed his makeshift plan to them and everyone set to work in their respective roles.

"This is my farm, I'll die here" Hershel insisted and Maggie made him see reason as the walkers advanced further, the barn bursting into flames and setting many of the dead ablaze. From there it was utter chaos. Daryl started his motorcycle and most of the group piled into cars as Sam sprinted through the horde. He let no arrows fly, occupied with getting away as they'd all agreed to meet at the road where they'd left Sophia's supplies. Gunshots rang out around him and he took his own handgun and emptied a few rounds, watching the walkers go down one by one. Sam sprinted through the woods, the sounds of approaching cars filling his ears. He made it to the highway eventually, out of breath but not missing any arrows and with no injuries. Others were gathered in many vehicles and it didn't look like anyone from the original group was missing except Andrea which made Sam slightly happy. Later, they caravanned down a country road. Hershel's SUV ran out of gas causing the procession to come to a grinding halt and Rick declared they'd camp by the road and scavenge in the morning. The group all doubted him, grumbling.

"We found each other against all odds and stayed together, we can get through this"

"We're already stranded, got nowhere to go now" Glenn pointed out, despondently keeping his eyes on the trees.

"There's sanctuary out there, we need to find it" Rick assured as they settled down for the night with people deciding watches between them.

"What about Randall? We found him as a walker but he hadn't been bitten" Glenn said after Daryl had mentioned the dead hostage. Sam set to work preparing a fire big enough for them all but small enough not to draw too much attention. They kept their voices low, the herd was still close.

"We're all infected.  At the CDC Jenner told me. Whatever it is, we all carry it." Rick revealed, the others furious at him keeping it from them. Sam started the fire expertly, a light being cast upon the group and the crackling flames sending out a thin sliver of black smoke into the night air. He wasn't sure what to make of this. Surely he'd figured it out when he saw Shane get up from being stabbed and from hearing Daryl and Glenn relay their findings of Randall but now it was out in the open he didn't feel it was so shocking, everyone had to have some idea. He tuned out the conversation until his name was mentioned.

"There are two men of honour here, Rick and Sam" 

"But Sam couldn't lead us, not like he'd want to anyway" 

"You're right, I wouldn't" Sam smiled slightly, sitting beside Daryl and looking over to Carol who seemed to have little faith in him. 

"Rick you need to take action-"

"You think I asked to be put in charge? I killed my best friend for you people, for Christ's sake!" Rick's voice grew louder making Sam wince as he heard Maggie trying to convince Glenn to leave the group only to be shut down quickly by Hershel.

"Lower your voice" Sam hissed, taking on a tone of voice none had heard him use before. He had never portrayed himself as a leader, that much was true but he had a dominant part of his personality that would show through occasionally, usually when his senses heightened and his mind was either driven by adrenaline or sleep deprived. 

"Maybe you people are better off without me," Rick continued on, encouraging them to leave him. "I say there's a place for us, but maybe it's another pipe dream. Whoever wants to can just clear out now"

Daryl's eyes darted over to Sam who sat drinking in Rick's speech with a certain calmness about him, his earlier splurge of panicked dominance diminished into his normal quiet analytical side.

"No taker's?" Rick asked as none of them moved "This is your final warning, this is no longer a democracy" Rick turned to stare into the dark night as the rest of them sat beside the dying fire, embers glowing orange.

"The Dictator has arrived" Sam said, a playful smirk playing on his lips and it dawned on the rest of the group that they had not seen that humour since before they came to the farm and it seemed he only felt joy when he was in constant danger, fighting for survival in a wild and unpredictable way. How funny he found the possibility of sudden inescapable death. The group watched as they archer lay back on the ground, smirk displayed proudly on his face as he took in the expressions of the terrified group. This was the happiest they'd seen him in a while. With the same grin, he opened his mouth and sang. This was the first time most had heard him do so, all except Rick and Daryl were stunned and lulled into a peaceful nightmare by his melodic voice and powerful words.

Broken bottles in the hotel lobby

Seems to me like I'm just scared of never feeling it again

I know it's crazy to believe in silly things

But it's not that easy

I remember it now, it takes me back to when it all first started

But I've only got myself to blame for it, and I accept it now

It's time to let it go, go out and start again

But it's not that easy

But I've got high hopes, it takes me back to when we started

High hopes, when you let it go, go out and start again

High hopes, oh, when it all comes to an end

But the world keeps spinning around

And in my dreams, I meet the ghosts of all the people who have come and gone

Memories, they seem to show up so quick but they leave you far too soon

Naïve I was just staring at the barrel of a gun

And I do believethat, yeah

But I've got high hopes, it takes me back to when we started

High hopes, when you let it go, go out and start again

High hopes, oh, when it all comes to an end

Now the world keeps spinning

Yeah, the world keeps spinning around

High hopes, it takes me back to when we started

High hopes, when you let it go, go out and start again

High hopes, oh,

And the world keeps spinning

Ooh, yeah, this world keeps spinning

How this world keeps spinning around