46: Restoration

The streets stayed deathly quiet. Sam clutched Carl's one hand as they wove through the crowd of walkers. They had smothered themselves in gore just as Sam and Rick and Glenn had done on the first day they met and were trying to navigate through to save Jessie, Ron and Sam as well as themselves. Sam was thankful. If Rick hadn't launched himself into the crowd of walkers that had knocked Sam over he would have been dead meat back there, he owed Rick his life. Carl's grip on his hand tightened and he gave it a reassuring squeeze, making his breathing as quiet as possible, almost silent. Their steps sounded, scarce heard amidst the growls of predatory walkers that milled around them, motivated by their insatiable hunger. All of a sudden Jessie's son Sam stopped short. Jessie began to beg him to keep walking but to no avail. He had panicked and was frozen, releasing bloodcurdling screams of terror and pain as walker tore into him. Jessie put up no resistance to the walkers either as they bit her flesh, too horrified by the death of her Son to process it. Rick began to cry salty tears as Sam turned his head away to hack off Jessie's arm that still held firmly onto Carl's hand. Rick was distraught and yet the situation became even worse.

Ron picked up the gun his mother had dropped, aiming it at Rick in desperation, he wanted to shoot something. Michonne quickly sliced him with her Katana and a gunshot sounded before he fell with a thud to the ground, engulfed by the many hungry walkers. All was fine, all was well. They were all ok. 

"Dad?" Carl's meek voice cut through air and Sam turned back only to flinch. The bullet that Ron had fired had pierced Carl's eye and he fell into Sam's arms. Sam carried the unconscious boy, running tirelessly to the medical centre in an attempt to save him. This reminded him of a time before, the second time he had sacrificed himself to save Carl. It would most certainly not be the last. 

Flashback.....

A farmhouse came into sight and by this point he was way ahead of the others, not even in sight anymore. All Sam cared about was pushing further to get Carl to a doctor before he died of blood loss. Sam reached the steps of the porch and yelled

"I need Hershel, please save him! Otis sent me!" 

Back to the present.....

Sam ran into the medical house, placing the boy gently down on the gurney as Denise set to work on him. His lung complained yet again but he held fast, clutching Carl's hand more for his own sanity than the boy's comfort. Sam knew they needed him out there and so followed Rick out, hacking away mercilessly at the horde.

"We can beat them!" Rick yelled, getting the Alexandrians to help. Kill after Kill, slash after slash, thud after thud they dropped like flies. It seemed an age before the area by the lake went up in flames. Many walkers were distracted by the flames and stupidly met their final demise in the flames. 

The killing lasted until the early hours of the morning, when the sun poked it's head above the horizon and the air grew hotter, clung to the sweaty bodies annoyingly. Sam looked around and then saw Daryl, also looking around. Daryl dropped his temporary weapon, causing Abraham and Sasha to jump and watch with subtle smiles as Daryl sprinted over to Sam, engulfing the man in a hug. Sam laughed in joy, clinging onto Daryl as though they'd never share an embrace again and felt tears on his shoulder. Daryl was crying. Sam held the man, rubbing his back gently, feeling the fatigue of the all night killing spree finally get to him. 

"I'm here, I'm with you, It's all going to be better now...I hope" 

"I know it will" Daryl whispered, squeezing Sam tightly. 

Sasha and Abraham watched the exchange as Michonne came to stand beside them, also taking in the two. Smiles spread like wildfire across their faces, knowing that this was the dawning of a new stage in their lives. Happiness infected the town. Daryl and Sam did not separate for the whole of the rest of the day, nor the night. The flames of the fire rose high into the air and the inhabitants of Alexandria sat together, sharing a makeshift victory dinner. Daryl and Sam sat beside each other, Sam basically on Daryl's lap and Aaron brought out a guitar to provide some music to accompany the feast. The instrument was somehow shoved into Sam's arms by Glenn who had seemingly forgiven Sam for all his wrongs in this moment. 

"Come on Sam, play us somethin'" Rick smiled, and the rest cheered as Sam giggled. To Daryl the sound was angelic and Sam checked the tuning before strumming a few chords.  

The words he sang spread warmth, hope, love. They reassured the unsure, they comforted the grieving. Sam's song would carry Alexandria through the toughest of times, would carry Daryl through the rest of his life. It provided so much joy to them and they danced and sang until the sun rose the next morning.

People should smile more

I'm not saying there's nothing to cry for

And you've got

Everything laid out for you

Just close your eyes, take a deep breath, and start another war

Keep buying, keep moving

This city, is sitting

Next to me

We'll lay it out

It's gonna come, one thing is certain

I can't change the world

'Cause trying to make a difference

Makes it worse

It's just an observation

I can't ignore

That people should smile more

And people should smile more

But the lights are so bright that they blind you

Just one more

Meaningless scientific breakthrough

The more we know, the less we care, what's damaged on the way

Keep moving, keep buying

This city, is sitting

Next to me

We'll lay it out

It's gonna come, one thing is certain

I can't change the world

'Cause trying to make a difference

Makes it worse

It's just an observation

I can't ignore

That people could smile more

People should smile more

Ba do dah

Do da dee do

Do do de dee do

(Do bah)

Ba do dah

Do da dee do

Do do de dee do

(Do bah)

Do dah

Do da dee do

Do do de dee dee dee do

Do dah

Do da dee do

Ba do doo de doo de doo

I can't change the world

'Cause trying to make a difference

Makes it worse

It's just an observation

I can't ignore

That people could smile more

People should smile more

I can't change the world

'Cause trying to make a difference

Makes it worse

It's just an observation

I can't ignore

That people could smile more

People should smile more