Chapter 3 ~ The Beginning

"I accept. If it means that I will have the power to protect those I love, then I'll accept this contract!"

Alex's mind returned to reality and he stood up, confusing everyone there, including Lelouch. He seemed different from the Alex he knew. It was like... No, this was his true self.

"Hey, let me ask you a question. Have you ever lost someone you hold dear?"

The men in red looked at the silver haired man, who had his right hand covering his left eye, as if he was joking and all of them began to smirk.

"Heh, what are you, a philosopher?...Hm?"

"What? You can't shoot? You're up against a student. Or did you realised that you've killed too much people and robbed too many people off their loved ones? All just for your entertainment."

Alex revealed his left eyes in a regal manner, intimidating the soldiers with his sudden change. Then a red bird-like symbol appeared in his blue eyes.

"W-What's this..."

"Then, it'd only be natural for all of you to die in exchange, wouldn't it?"

Lelouch's eyes widened in surprise at what Alex just said. However...

"You're right..."

"Huh?"

The soldiers all readied their gun and aimed it on their temple.

"We must repent... Fire!"

Gunshots resounded then all the soldiers in red all fell limp. Dead.

Lelouch couldn't believe what just happened and he could only stare, unmoving. Alex was also surprised at what he just did after he snapped out of it. They looked at each other while still enveloped in silence.

But before they could say anything, the truck behind them exploded, causing Lelouch who was holding the green haired girl to be separated from Alex.

"Lelouch! Hey! Are you okay?!"

His voice echoed throughout his area, however there was no reply. Alex knew he was okay since he saw him dodge the explosion, but it seems they were separated by enough rubbles that they couldn't hear each other.

He looked towards Suzaku's body and decided to take him back to the surface along with him. At least, his comrades might be able to find his body and gave him a proper burial.

After he put him on the place where he heard many Britannian soldiers present, he escaped the place and try to find a shelter. But...

Is this really what I want?

Alex stopped in his tracks.

Getting to the shelter, going back, live in that fragile world and blinded by fake peace. One where I can lose my loved ones at any moment without being able to do anything about it.

He tightened his grip on his hands.

No. Now that I have power...

Suddenly, a sutherland appeared and moved towards him, interrupting his thoughts.

"That student over there. What is a Britannian student doing here?"

A man's voice resounded over the knightmare's speaker. Alex put his hands up and turned towards him with his geass activated.

"Answer the question!"

"I'm just a passerby. Please do not mind me."

"Don't talk nonsense! Now tell me who you are and answer my question!"