20

His broad shoulders are facing me. His wavy brown hair is tousled and I smile at the scene.

Dad's sitting on a stool at the counter talking to him. Belle's walking around near his heels, following each step he takes.

My heart's pounding as dad looks at me and waves.

"Goodmorning, honey. Happy birthday." 

I want to signal for him not to mention me but I walk around to him anyway and kiss his cheek. "Thanks dad."

I feel eyes on me and look up into bright green eyes.

I feel my heart stop. Did it stop? I think it stopped.

"Happy birthday, Heather." He says, his voice low and husky.

Why oh why do these descriptions come into my mind? This makes is worse.

"Thank you." I say softly.

I sit in the dining table and once he's done cooking salmon, baby ribs and making birthday pancakes and mashed potato, Chris helps dad move his plate and all to the dining table.

"Let's pray. Chris?" Dad asks, bowing his head down.

We share a look and I smile softly.

"Dear God, thank You so much for this day. You've given Heather another year and I know it'll be so much better than she expects. I pray for blessings and good health, joy and strength, wisdom and peace. Thank You for this food and the nourishment it gives to our bodies. We lift this all to You. Amen." Chris prays, smiling at me. "Hope you like it."

"I know I will." I reply, biting into the salmon. Mm. It's so much better than I thought.

We finish the food Chris prepared and I'm stuffed.

"That was good." Dad comments, smiling appreciatively at Chris.

"Thank you, sir." Chris says humbly.

"I can't wait to have that cooking in the house." Dad says causing me to choke.

I cough and almost spit out my food. Chris chuckles and hands me a glass of water.

I take it and give him a grateful smile, gulping down water.

Dad chuckles, clearly amused. "Well, I guess I'll bring the dogs out for a while."

He whistles. "Belle, Ella."

The dogs follow him and they head out to the backyard.

I let out a shaky breath.

"You okay now?" He asks, matching dad's smile.

"Yes." I mumble biting into the ribs.

"I'm sorry. I know what your dad said is kind of-"

I hold up my hand. "Don't finish that sentence."

He chuckles and raises an eyebrow. "You don't want to get married?"

I roll my eyes. "Not that. It's just weird when people tease."

I take another bite and pause. "Wait. Did you ask if I wanted to get married?"

He shrugs and drinks some water. "I'll go clean these up."

He takes the other plates and leaves me to sit and think of the crazy little things that happened this morning.

My cousins said a new family member. A hug, a bark or a kiss. The could mean a dog. A new dog. Or- no. No way.

I shake the thought and join him in the kitchen, rinsing the plates and silverware and putting them into the dishwasher.